Followers

Sunday, March 21, 2010

VISITORS AND GOODIES....

What the heck! That can't be breakfast! I forgot to post a picture of our dinner and because it was so delicious it had to be included. Homemade split pea soup from scratch...Gary's dill pickles and Reuben Sandwiches (with the sauerkraut I made earlier).


Ok, I will now return to the normal drill. There was no sunshine to see this morning. Grey, grey, grey. And very chilly.
I debated putting the ponie's sheets on, and chose not to.
We did not get the rain I was expecting.
I managed to do chores quickly and was back in the house before 9:30.

Around 12:30 Jack and Louise arrived with a beautiful coffee cake.
By that time I had already put together some sauerkraut (onions, bacon, apples, brown sugar, vinegar and celery salt).
I made a pot of green tea and we proceeded into the living room where Gary was hanging out in his favorite chair.
In the meantime, my homemade split pea soup was just about finished.
Lots of conversation. All four of us are very community minded, so of course we had to discuss the future of our village.
Both Louise and Jack are anthropologists and it makes for some very interesting topics. For example, today we talked about the place music has in different cultures. He has been working for years both here and in inner Mongolia...filming, interviewing and creating not only segments on music, but what is typical of a village in that area. It led to him doing the same here, using Brockport as his base. Eventually it will be available as a "video" text at the college level.
They were kind enough to loan Gary a cane...it definitely helps him get the weight off his foot.

When Jack and Louise left it was time for Gary to have another snack from the Skoog Farm Restaurant. Jello and bananas with whipped cream! Whoopeeeee!
We had a good fire going in the living room and spent the afternoon watching a movie. That free standing stove really cranks out the heat....it was very cozy.

After the movie, the dogs told us that someone else had arrived....and they brought Gar a big fruit basket!
Of course it is typical of what the Kenney family would do. (Remember? Winnie's owners).
Darrin and Trina wondered why I did not call them to do chores when I was not feeling well! They are always like this! Very thoughtful.
The dogs were very happy to see them...especially Trina (and they bugged her as much as possible).
We are in business in the fruit department!

At 6:30 the pups and I went out to do chores. Fortunately the sun had come out earlier and it turned out to be a beautiful evening...and there were no disasters waiting for me either!
As usual, PC was encouraging me to speed things up.
Abbe did not want her picture taken while she was chewing her grain.
PC was filthy.
Pony was hungry... and I forgot to put Berlin's mug on here.

Even tho it's fuzzy, I loved this shot of Dream coming in the barn.

Barb was here today and I didn't even know it (must have been watching the movie). It looks like she got a lot of hair off her.

Just when you thought I was not going to have any sky pictures...everything changed and the sunset was going to come through for me.



I don't know about you, but I am pretty tired of all this basketball stuff. Enough already!

Tomorrow, 4 of us are going to Lima to that print shop Mel found. Hopefully I will come home with a coffee table book of some of my photographs. Over and out.

Night all.

11 comments:

Ingrid de Villiers said...

Wow Lori....I enjoyed reading this post...the split pea soup (made from scratch) looks delicious! Jack and Louise's coffee cake looks so good.....and I love the pictures of the sunset!

Maery Rose said...

Looking through your posts, I'm struck by a couple things -- the food! And wonderful community of people. Such wealth!

Callie Brady said...

Wow! That's what I thought too after I read your post. I love looking at all your photos. What a busy day filled with lovely people, wonderful animals, yummy food and a beautiful sunset.

The hen has made a nest for herself in the straw. Hopefully she will survive the night. The wounds are just to the skin but they are open. I will call around tomorrow and see what additional information I can find on how to treat the wounds. For tonight she has pedialyte to drink for shock, the wounds are cleaned and have neosporin on them.

Diary From Africa said...

It looks like you had a wonderful day, Lori - and the food looks delicious - the soup especially :) have a wonderful week .....

allhorsestuff said...

YUMMO...I want to come for anything you set out on the table!
Though chilly and grey..what a nice day. I too love that shot of Dream!
oops...Gary..I must go back in posts..what did he do? You certainly have loving people to help you through...um..kinda rhyming tonight!
Kac

Gayle said...

Well, you get a break until Thursday with bxb. We can't get enough of it, but try to only watch the second half so we aren't tied to the tv all day. Too much to do! We hope to have a wood stove in the family room next winter...snuggled in warm for a movie sounds delightful! Glad you had a fairly relaxing day.

Anonymous said...

Another fine meal to be had at Skoog Farm! Where do you get the energy for all this? LOL :)

Anonymous said...

Love the description of the musical studies your friend is doing - very interesting. I'm a big fan of split pea soup - we make a vegetarian version which is also very good.

Jill said...

I am with you on the basketball! I really like that picture of Dream! Very nice.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Gray and foggy all day here. That food looks delicious, especially the cake. I think if I lived near you I would be even more overweight than I am from all that deliciousness.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Every post I read over here, I'm always struck by what a full life you have with friends, visitors and activities. I think it's amazing and sometimes think I would enjoy that, but then I remember how exhausted I get emotionally and physically from entertaining and being 'on' for visitors and realize I must be more of an introvert. My husband, too.

Kind of makes me a little sad because it does sound so wonderful to have all of that activity and people to just stop by.

But after we do have anyone over for a visit, it often takes me a few days just to decompress.

Oh...and I'm not all that fond of cooking either and my house always seems to be a mess. So, no entertaining going on here at the Laughing Orca Ranch. lol!

So, I think I will continue to live vicariously through you and just enjoy what it must be like to have such an interesting life full of fascinating people and fun events.

Oh...and the food. I really want to be adopted by you. The sauerkraut sounds delish!

~Lisa