Followers

Monday, December 14, 2009

COMFORT....

Are we on a merry-go-round with this weather or what? Now the snow is almost gone, and we hit 40 today.

Put the ponies in the back pasture as it was the highest and driest.

I don't know about you, but when I am cleaning stalls, I can't stand to wear a coat. It has to be absolutely freezing for me to leave it on. In the morning I put on long underwear, a turtleneck and sweats...sometimes I end up wearing that barn outfit all day. We keep our thermostats at 60 and build a fire in the kitchen so we can have a toasty spot to hang out. Long underwear is a must. Why change my clothes if I'm not going anywhere (not that I have not been out in public with these fabulous outfits). I was telling "Laughing Orca" that we have to get a calendar going...maybe we need to have a contest to see who wears the classiest duds.

Bunny tracks?

When I got in the house, I decided to try something that I saw on a PBS cooking show Saturday.
Would you call it "Apple Pan Dowdy?"

I sliced up about 10 apples and threw them in a 10" iron skillet with 2 tablespoons of butter.
Then, I added 3/4 cup of sugar, some lemon juice and two tablespoons of flour...stirred and set aside while I made some pie crust.

I rolled it out and placed it on top of the apples....

Brushed on some egg white and sprinkled with sugar.
Baked it in the oven at 400 degrees for 50 minutes.

Voila! A one crust pie. It tasted great...a little different than a regular pie...not runny at all and easy to serve (with a spoon).

Had the stove burning all day...have to keep that dust going....

Gary worked on hand painted Christmas Cards...this year he is using acrylics.

Late afternoon the dogs and I took a quick trip down to the village so I could pick up a few things that I ordered at Country Treasures.

I am going to have to make an effort to go back down when it's dark so I can get some great shots of the lights.






Home in time to do chores. Gary went to the Red Bird for a quick meeting and the dogs and I went out to the barn.

Attempted to get a few shots in the dark...

Need to do this with my good camera when I am not in a hurry.



Cleaned up a fresh pineapple and defrosted a noodle/kilbasa/sauerkraut casserole for dinner.

Need to take a nice hot shower and get into my vegging mode for the evening.

Look forward to meeting with my class tomorrow. This past week I had two inquiries regarding people who want to join the workshop...and they are both men! Ooooo La La. Mel and Dick will have some company....there is also another gentleman whose wife wants to give him a gift certificate for Christmas. Fine with me. I am so lucky to be able to do something that I really enjoy.

Night all.

4 comments:

CoyoteFe said...

Well, when I am cleaning out my stalls, I wear ... wait! I don't have a stall! Because I have no horses. OK - now I am sad that I have not horses! OK your pics cheered me up, so I am OK. Nice shot of the music shop. I think I should get a cool hand painted card (begging shamelessly).

Grey Horse Matters said...

Hmm, bet that apple dish would be great with some vanilla ice cream too!
This weather is crazy. I hear you about mucking with coats on. I like your outfit, mine is similar, but I find that wearing a vest is better than a coat for me.It frees my arms up and I'd rather ride in a vest too.

Gayle said...

The up-and-down weather would drive me insane. I could see getting sick all the time from the temperature changes. I may be cold (-6 this morning), but at least it is consistent.

I'd never make it if we kept the house at 60. I whine at 70. I do not like to be cold. Hoping we can put in a wood stove for next winter to sit by.

Golden the Pony Girl said...

Those are indeed rabbit tracks if they were in question! :) Very cute!