Followers

Monday, November 2, 2009

B E A U T I F U L . . . . . .

From morning 'til night, the sky was gorgeous. It was barely 30 degrees when I got up.

As the sun came through the kitchen windows, the little mirrors on this hanging were lighting up the walls as it was moving around. Gucci could not figure it out.

Chores went well. Around 8:30 the "Broom Jockey" came over to look at the Smuckers Harness I have for sale. By the time we finished gabbing and I was done in the barn, I had just enough time to take a shower and go to Brockport for an appointment.

By then, the heat from the sun was making a difference. I'm glad I didn't put sheets on the horses.

Gucci keeps close tabs on the activity across the street...nothing gets by her.

Around 2 I went out to move my cart to the top of the horse barn.

Fortunately Gary volunteered to pull it up the hill.

The horses were very curious.





When this was done, I went out and grabbed Abbe and took her into the grooming room to get rid of all the caked mud.

Now it was her turn to try on the bitless bridle. We walked over to the indoor and did some in hand work. She was quiet and did not seem to mind the new bridle at all. Today I read about the best way to get your horse used to working without a bit in it's mouth...you definitely don't rush it. I am taking my time so they can figure it out. Fortunately, all of our horses have been ridden with English Hackamores...a little head start. I can't think of one good reason for putting steel in their mouths. Being the "backyard queen" I am not interested in showing and choose to do pleasure riding at home and in the parks. Knowing myself, is one of the biggest reasons I am not going to pursue driving. I'm used to having horses that I can ride regularly OR occasionally.
I have never lounged them first...start on the buckle when I ride and trust them to behave even if they have not been ridden for 2 months. With all the things I am involved in, I KNOW I will not put in the time it would take to feel confident about driving Abbe. Also, losing the truck and my horse trailer popped my balloon. Bottom line, riding seems to be more appropriate for me.

Today Winnie's farrier was here. There are not too many women doing this.

The Phoebster gave me a good look!

Just before I went out for evening chores, I ran across the street to pick up a couple dozen eggs (so I could make dinner). "Chicken Helene."

This was the view from Paula's driveway looking West.

And our house, looking East from her yard.

Since they got their haircuts, I have been putting coats on the dogs so they don't get cold.

All done, and back to the house in the dark. Night all.

6 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

Ya know Lori...there was something very cool and different about today's post....I don't know, but it seemed you were at ease with all. I think the photo's were better than ever. Really sweet...especially the dogs..they were really cute the way you captured them!
What a beautiful place you are in!!
KK
PS
That is the bitless I have too!
What reins do you use? I got some at a horse fair this year that have a little weight to them..seems to work better than the lighter ones that came with.
You take care and have fun!

BroomJockey said...

How funny is this??? That's my farrier!!! I clicked on the picture to make sure it was Sherri. She's awesome. And to think she was there on the same day that I was there!! Strange. It was so good seeing you again. If you don't sell the harness, please keep me in mind. I looked them up and found a web-site that still sells them. They're $895.00 brand new. Just have to save up all my pennies. Have a great day!!! Cindy aka Broomjockey

Frank said...

Your blue sky was gorgeous. I knew the pups had fine warm coats to stay warm.

The light coming across the room in one shot was so cool looking. (I still miss your opening photo of the sun steaming in the window. It said Skoog Farm to me. But, the current shot of the horses is the best yet.)

Anonymous said...

I love your horses and that window with the sunlight is so beautiful. how fortunate you are to be able to live there!
ronelle

Dream Valley Ranch said...

I think you made the right choice with both Abbe and the Dr. Cook's-you sound so happy with both!

Dr. Cook's is all I use for my girls. I can't stand the thought of a metal object in my horse's mouth-it has always seemed somewhat barbaric to me I guess...

Your horses are so lucky to have such a great mom :)
xoxo

Esther Garvi said...

I agree with Kacy, that's BEAUTIFUL photography!! I loved the ones through the window the most, but the closeup on Phoebes was impressive too!