Rebel, July 4th, 2019 at Forrestel Farm

Rebel, July 4th, 2019 at Forrestel Farm
“To me, photography is an art of observation. It’s about finding something interesting in an ordinary place… I’ve found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.” — Elliott Erwitt


Tuesday, July 14, 2009


This post could be a little unusual as it covers many days.  I am sure you are SO ANXIOUS to know what has been going on at Skoog Farm since my internet connection was lost (because of that storm Saturday...I'll bet).

Gary has finished his chair for the auction in Chautauqua and will be taking it there this weekend, when he goes down for the Swedish Festival (Nea and Esther).  Right now he is driving back from Saratoga.  He drove a truck there for some friends (this morning) who needed to move things to their new home.  A lot of miles for one day.So people!  What have we been missing on your blogs?  It will take some doing to catch up.
How are Sheba's puppies doing?
Come on Esther...did you post more pictures?  We'll have to check back a few days!!!
Love that light when it comes into the kitchen before the sun goes down.

We continue to have beautiful skies.

I'm saving a load of pictures for Skywatch Friday, so here are just a couple.

Now, I think we are into Sunday morning.
We went down to Java for breakfast and made a visit to the Farm Market.

We bought cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, cherries (I ate them all in a day) and a loaf of cracked wheat bread.  I totally forgot to take pictures while we were Sunday....

My friend Tina came over around 11 to help me with Abbe.  Before we started, she helped me remove about 300 of those little stickie green balls from the coat of Mademoiselle Gucci (Poochie) 'Lisbet Skoog!  She jumped into one of the gardens and every inch of her body was coated with them.  In the meantime, I had set up some poles and cones in the indoor to use with Abbe.

I just deleted the picture of Abbe pulling the poles....use your imagination....

Then we hooked her up to the little red cart.  This was my first time and was thrilled that it happened.  Would not have done it without Tina.  I line drove Abbe from the outside and it gave me more confidence.

Great more time.

Now it is Monday.  The roofer got her at 6:20am and by noon the east side of Gary's barn was done and in another hour they repaired the horse barn.

They both look a lot better!
Macro macro macro and macro
Just practicing on some of the current blossoms....
Gary started digging up some of his garlic.  It looks great!  Now we have to get all the old pool stuff off the wagon so he can use it to hang the rest.
After evening chores we went over to Apple Creek Farm to have dinner with Jack and Louise.
Before we ate, three young bucks came strolling through the orchard.  I couldn't get to my camera fast enough to catch them all... Here's one.
I need a brain transplant, as I forgot to take shots of our meal for Mary Olson and Jon out in Colorado.  I did however, remember to photograph our dessert!  Vanilla ice cream drizzled with raspberry and chocolate sauces topped with the biggest berries I have ever seen....and whipped cream.
When we were leaving, the sun was almost out of sight.
The colors were still beautiful at 9:20pm.
As soon as we headed south, the sky was very dark.

THIS MORNING the temperature was perfect for working outside.  Joe has free run of the joint day and night, so when I get out there he is usually in the pasture.  He needs as much grass as he can eat, as hay is getting more and more difficult for him to chew at age 32.
At 10am Frontier sent out a person to check on my modem and the phone lines.  He gave me a new modem and a wireless connection, but my computer would still not work.  His did, but mine wouldn't.  To make a long story short, I called Apple and they had me cookin' in 5 minutes. I was very worried that something was wrong with my iMac.

At 10:30, my class arrived.  We met in the Studio as we were doing leaf castings today.  Did I take pictures????  Nooooo!  We had a lot of the cement mixture left, so Jean (whose husband is a master mason) filled in some of the cracks in the sidewalk.  I have never made cement before, and as we made up our own recipe, sure hope it works.  

Gucci was on duty outside....

And the Phoebster was in her usual spot.

Now I am caught up.  It is 5:37 and there are still many hours left in the day.  Maybe I will get my camera going...


  1. Yay! You are back home in your blog!! Darn right we missed seeing the sights around Skoog Farm as captured by your gifted eye. Being cut off from our electronic window to the world sure is no fun.

  2. Hi Lori and Gary. Good to be back to normal.
    Regards, Mike and Ann.

  3. The Phoebster kills me. What a fine, alert gal. She must keep her eye out for strange unfamiliar animals and workers on barn roofs. So much fun to be a dog on guard duty. I'm glad you're back in the blog business. (Your shadow looks powerful and in control.)

  4. Glad to have you back on line. As for your comment about wishing you lived next door so you could bug me, I wish that too. Actually, I'd be running over to your house to join in some of those scrumptious meals!

  5. Glad you're up and running again. I hardly get to blogging with summer being such a busy time.

    What did you do with the roofs? I thought you were having tin put on?

    The pups look great.


Thank you for reading The Skoog Farm Journal. Your comments are appreciated!