Followers

Friday, July 26, 2024

Little Wonder Had A Visitor

What a beautiful day.  70s and very little humidity.

Rebel was holding his own this morning.  No bute.
Buddy went out after he toured the barn.
At 9:30 I drove down to Brockport to give this box to my friend, Andrea.  Judy P. and I got together some goodies for her sister Helen, who lives in Scotland (she will deliver it for us).  We have not seen her in a couple of years and thought she would enjoy some treats etc. from Wegmans and elsewhere.
Little Wonder went with me.  You know how much he loves Andrea.


Around 11 I started mowing the lawn.  Better today, as we are going to have some hot weather again.  My friend Sandra is sending it from Minnesota!  Gary's kitchen garden is like a jungle.





This afternoon another one of Little Wonder's favorite people stopped up.  He will never forget her and all the days they saw each other when Ronin was here.  He and Janet will always be besties.
Gary has started bringing a few tomatoes in the house.  I put them in the kitchen window and they finish ripening in a day.

He grilled for me tonight.


While he did that, I roasted some of our own potatoes.  They are so good.

When it's cool like this, I don't mind cooking at all.
Chores at 8:30.  Rebel was slightly off but not bad.  He should not have been running around last night.


He is very good at keeping his boot on.




I have been tuned into the fiasco happening in the Dressage World lately.  One of the top Olympic Riders has been forbidden to participate, as a video has been posted of her training methods (whipping a horse over and over and over during a lesson she was giving, trying to get it to canter properly).  It is quite the controversy and makes me pretty sick, thinking about all the horses that get abused by trainers and riders as they try to get into the big time.  CDJ has been at the top of her game and has now crashed.    I don't care what level rider you are, the horses need to be respected and you need to be patient as you communicate what you want.  Some think there is a movement to eliminate horse sports from the Olympics.  Others think that reforms are needed.  Some make pitiful excuses.  Horses are not vehicles.
What a mess.  Anyone who is abusive should be held accountable, regardless of what level rider they are.
Night all.

 

3 comments:

Nancy J said...

Abuse in any form is not to be tolerated, and she should have known better. Cooler for you, that's good news, and for Josh, Squamish cool days and nights after Banff heat wave are much better too.And Jasper, what devastation. I wonder how a town and people can rebuild after that.

Val Ewing said...

I was taken to a Saddlebred show barn once when I offered to give one of their old lesson horses a place to retire with us. We watched a training 'session' where the rider see sawed the horses mouth harshly.
The idea was to make the mouth so sore, he would cue into any 'ask' the rider had without refusal.
I left the place pretty horrified. We got the old horse home and he was kind and fun. He adored his treatment and love from my kids. With his old broken down tail and ugly head, he became the favorite for all my beginner 4 H riders as he was such a nice animal.

He and the kids became inseparable.
That was in 1996 so I would assume and hope that training methods have changed?

Looks like an amazing supper!

Sandra said...

I spent decades in the show world/horse world. I have nothing good to say, other than I finally got a clue and got out. If there is an afterlife I hope to see all the horses taking vengeance on their abusers.

I'm so sorry the weather gods won't listen when I plead to leave this weather away from you. They simply smile and move east!