Followers

Thursday, April 20, 2023

Seamus

Not a good day here at Skoog Farm.  After feeding breakfast to the ponies I went to let Seamus out and he was flat out on the floor.  I thought he was dead.  When I went in the stall he got right up and seemed ok.  But he wasn't.  Kept wanting to go down and he colicked.

I called Andrea (his owner, who let me have him vacation here for the past 14 months to keep Rebel company) and she got here by 9:30 to check on him.

Except for 1 hour, I was outside all day long watching him.  He got an hour long massage while we were waiting for the Vet to arrive.  No matter what we did, he seemed to be too blocked to drop some manure...poor little guy.  Fortunately he was given a shot for pain this morning.




Little Wonder kept me company the entire time.

Things were not looking good.

He was thoroughly checked out by the Vet....a rectal, tubed and an ultrasound, followed by some fluids.
Andrea went and got her horse trailer so she could take him to Glen Darrach and doctor him tonight.
Rebel kept him company until it was time for him to go. 
Seamus was given a bag of fluids and then was taken for a walk.  Still no manure.
By then Andrea arrived and he hopped on the trailer to go home.  I sure hope he gets through this.  There is no other horse person that could take better care of him.  She is licensed by the British Horse Society and has decades of experience.
I felt so terrible when Seamus and Rebel were whinnying to each other, and now Rebel is all alone in that big barn.  I have to figure something out.
Night all.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I hope Dear Seamus will recover and be his old self. I hope he can come back to Rebel and you soon.
Take Care,
Kaye

Anonymous said...

I do hope Seamus is feeling better soon. Sad story to read. Poor Rebel alone. We worry so much about our pets. Kathy

Nancy J said...

Oh Lori, how sad for this to happen,Rebel, stay strong for Lori and Gary, and the team that are caring for wee Seamus . XXXX from NZ.

Val Ewing said...

Oh no, I missed this!