Followers

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

GET READY FOR A MARATHON....

Do you remember Winnie? Today I stopped in to see her at her new barn...just in time for Justine to take a lesson. Of course this photo is out of order, but I thought you might like to see how well she is doing. She may have recognized me....started licking my hand (the sweet girl).


Meanwhile, the morning at Skoog Farm started out sunny. Chores went smoothly and I put the horses out in the big pasture with their masks on. No rain today.


Elvira, a blogging pal from Tuscany, posted a beautiful close up of a pigeon yesterday...today I went for it... but my zoom was not powerful enough to get any closer than this



Barb brought over a load of sawdust a few days ago and did an number on the run in part of the barn. It is like a deep bed....King Mustafa now has his stall and all of this space too. A condo.

Gary went out to Glen Darach Farm and picked up Helen this morning, so she could sit in on my class. I had three new people today! Loved it.

They all brought examples of their work.

This is a sketch by Fran B. ....her favorite thing to doodle.

Carol G. brought several paintings. This one in oil....

and these two watercolors. Beautiful!

I showed you the work Chris brought last week. She has started on a pencil drawing.

Carol started on an abstract painting in oil.

Helen looked at books of student work...then went on to some contour line drawing.

Tina finished her snow leopard babies....


Dick continued to work on his acrylic painting of flowers...
(Carol)

(Chris)

Jean...now doing a 6x6 in color....

Fran's contour line drawing...

After class, four of my students picked spinach...we still have a ton!

Helen was able to swing for awhile before we headed down to lunch.
Here is her contour drawing of the flowers....
and her hand....
She was able to catch up on her mail before we left.

We landed at Barber's Grill...the oldest townie bar in town.
We saw Dan H. there. This is the closest thing we have to a pub. It was Helen's last full day in the US as she leaves for Scotland tomorrow.

From there we went to the grocery store...she was getting stuff for dinner and wanted strawberries. Instead of buying them there...we went down the road and picked a couple of quarts.


Next we stopped at Christina's world so I could take a couple shots of Mr. Sand Man and his Dream.
Roger went out to the barn with us, and Dream was sleeping in one of the stalls.


Everywhere we looked, flowers were in bloom....
There were visitors enjoying the pool...
Getting back to the gardens....






We pulled out of the driveway, and next door was my friend Kendra...weeding around the stone wall in front of her beautiful home WHICH IS FOR SALE. Come on horse people! There is a sweet barn and this would be a model "Gentleman's Farm." All you would have to do is fence in a pasture!


From there, we headed over to our friend, Bill Stewart's studio. Helen photographed all of his pieces that we have so I thought it would be fun to pay him a visit.
Funk city!
A gorgeous creek runs through his property...the sound is so soothing.
He created these wrapped snakes many years ago....
Their home is bursting with art. Thanks for the tour Bill!

When we got back to Glen Darach, Andrea was finishing up her 6th riding lesson. Dropped Helen off and left for home. We sure squeezed in a lot of good times while she was here.
The first photo I posted of Winnie.... She is a short distance down from Glen Darach Farm so I stopped there when I saw Trina in front of the barn...THEN I really left for Brockport....

The place was full of activity! Today they voted and I am happy to announce that OUR VILLAGE IS NOT GOING TO BE DISSOLVED!
TV cameras were all over the place.
People were turning out to vote... I could not be happier with the results! Even the candidate running for Town Board (that I supported) won!!! Yey!!!! HOWEVER!!!! Now it is time to get going on consolidating some services and reducing the tax rate. 70% of the properties in this village are tax exempt (schools, churches etc.). Somehow this needs to be addressed...at the state level. 30% of the people are footing the bill...IT'S NOT FAIR! The community is going to DEMAND some changes.

Got home a little before 5 and hit the couch for awhile. Barb did chores and I cooled it.




Perfect weather....
Have to go out and put those ponies in the barn.

Night all.

5 comments:

Maery Rose said...

Looks like a pretty full day! Glad the vote went as you wanted. Having to look at taxes for all the houses I'm looking at, I've discovered that taxes are not very fairly doled out, even on the same street! Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Gayle said...

I believe this was my favorite post of all time! I am so glad that the election turned out in favor of the village. You are right, though, it's sounds if way too many have a tax exempt status and that should be changed. Love all the shots of pretty flowers. Wish it wasn't so much work to grow flowers here. The art work your students do is amazing. I always wished I could be an artist (am not) and have a son who wishes the same (and he is not). Some things must come naturally. Looks like you had a wonderful day. So glad!

Louise said...

I'm so glad that the village won't be dissolved. You've got some hard work ahead of you, to get those taxes down. There will be all kinds of excuses as to why it can't be done.

Loved the picture of the pigeon. The purple that you can see must be hidden from a greater distance, leaving just a dull grey bird.

Kendra said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Lori. Woops, that's a Sarah Palin term. It was so much fun to see a friendly face driving by yesterday!

allhorsestuff said...

What a fantastic day...it all was there, all of the best stuffs!
I too can not get too close with my zoom...you did well with the handsome bird!

I did think of you this past wkend..while visiting watery areas Lori..I take you with me every time.
XO
KK and Wa mare~