Followers

Friday, July 3, 2009

SOMETHING DIFFFERENT

It did not rain today, at least not here!  Still a muddy paddock when I went out to do chores, but we were spared!
This handsome boy is "Smithfield's Joe."  All our grandkids call him "Big Joe."  He has been at our farm for many years...can't remember when he arrived.  His owner, Randy, is from Jamestown and went to school with Gary.  Randy's Dad used to plow the sidewalks in the
winter (with draft horses) and it definately created some special memories.  Over 20 years ago Randy bought this horse (he is now 32 years old and retired).  I was able to begin to drive with Joe, who is like a school master...had the opportunity to take a lesson from Larry Poulin (Olympic Marathon Driving Team) and that definately peaked my interest.  Also took a couple of dressage lessons on him...quite an experience.
This past year I put him on alfalfa cubes with his night feed, as he had dropped some weight and wasn't looking his usual self.  He also has had chronic abcesses off and on.  
But look at him now!  How many other Beligians are out there at this age?  Do you know of any?
When I went out to put the masks on, the horses were in the back pasture on the hill that goes up to the second floor of the barn.
Target and Abbe were having quite a conversation....
Blah....blah....blah.....
They barely had time to eat grass.
Winnie had no problem in that department.
Several of them have been rolling in the mud lately.
The conversation must have ended.
Just kidding!
Where's Mom?
Do you see her?
There go some people on bikes!
Don't worry Gucci, she will be here in a minute.
Please Mom!  I want to go in the house.


Actually, this was not my day to be in the house.  I mowed the lawn and then went out to work Abbe so I would be finished before Darrin and Justine had their lessons.
Does this tell you how muddy it is here?  By the way...Abbe was a meatball today.  There were three pigeons flapping around on the trusses in the indoor and she did not like that at all.  I know....no excuses.  We just did not connect today.

I let Darrin and Justine try a couple of my saddles during their lessons.  An old Stubben Tristan and my Albion....both dressage saddles and both fit beautifully.  We also put an English hackamore on Winnie (don't know if she has ever worn one before).  She was very relaxed and seemed to do even better with this tack on.
Justine is going to Houghton College for 5 days of concentrated instruction.  She will have the opportunity to work with Walter Zettl and Linda Parelli....quite a deal for a 14 year old.
What a difference when your saddle fits properly....


The day lilies are 5 feet tall...all gazillion of them.
Randy came up to the Farm today to help Gary in the garden.  They spent the afternoon staking tomato plants.
We decided not to cook tonight and went to the Greece Ridge Family Restaurant for dinner.
Two nights in a row with Randy and Arlene.
This regular Joe family restaurant has such a great menu and the food has never let us down.
On the way home (this happened the last time we dined here)....ta daaaaaa!  The air was fresh, no humidity and the beautiful (no rainy) sky came back.



Got home just before dark and went out to take the masks off the horses.

Yes! this is what the rains have done to my outdoor arena!  Flooded for over two weeks with grass and weeds growing through the sand.  If and when it dries out, I will have it rototilled again so it gets back in shape.  What a mess.....

The moon is out...and I am going to finish this up before I go put the horses in for the night.
Night All!

6 comments:

Mary Olson said...

I sure wish the rain would spread itself around the country rather than congregating all in one place. I bet you do too. I had to put some hoof conditioner on my boys today - their hooves are looking so dried out and chipped. Big Joe certainly does look good - all your horses look well cared for.

BroomJockey said...

Man, I am soooooo jealous! Walter Zettl & Linda Parelli? A Whole week? I am a Parelli member/fan/you name it. And Walter Zettl!! They say he is one of the kindest soul's you would ever want to meet. To his horses and students. What an honor and privilege for Justine. Please blog about how it goes and what she learns. She is going to have a wonderful time.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Heck, I'm jealous of the lesson with Larry Poulin ;-). Beautiful old "pony".

Esther Garvi said...

All your horses look gorgeous Lori, and Big Joe is looking very happy this particular day! Love how the canine ladies wait for you to let them into the house! :-D

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

We too are getting a lot of rain this year , which is good, we have had a bad drought the last few years!
I've commented on big Joe before! he is such a beauty and looking so awesome for his age, fat and happy! :-) Our draft is only 12 or so, again her birthday isnt remembered...she is the 3rd generation here! Bred born and raised! She will be here for many years I hop! How lucky a full week of horse learning and with those two...awesome cant wait to hear how it goes!

Karen McLain said...

I wish you could send some of that rain out AZ way. I really like the story about the old Guy. I had Liz, (Dude horse, team on many parades and movies, great kids horse) with me in her last few months. She was 35-36. I wrote the kids story, "Liz the hairy horse" about her. She was a great gal.