Followers

Friday, March 5, 2021

Post #7176 Full House

We had some sunshine, but the winds were so strong it was frigid.






For the first time in months, Scott and Jenny were coming to dinner.  He did some work for us last weekend in this was the least we could do for him.
The first thing I did....
made an "Apple Betty" pie.
I cut up 5 Empire apples and tossed them with 1/4 cup of orange juice.
Instead of mixing the usual sugar and flour in with the apples, I made what is normally a streusel topping...
and added that.
It eliminates the extra sugar that I would have been using otherwise.
Tossed in some walnuts before putting it in the pie crust.
There is still snow in the deep spots, but a little green is starting to appear.

The menu for tonight.  Grilled ham, macaroni and cheese, and an asparagus salad.
First I boiled some eggs (2 for the salad).
Then I prepared the asparagus....
and baked the ham.
By then the apple pie was done.
Love making it this way....more tart like.


At 1:30 we had another She Sings rehearsal.

For some reason the others could hardly hear my uke and Doug is going to do some trouble shooting for me on Monday.  At any rate, we continued to work on harmonies.
Started off with Teach Your Children, then Green Eyes, When You Say Nothing at All, Bamboo and Puff the Magic Dragon.  Concentrating on just a few songs is very helpful.  I'm a slow learner when it comes to learning new parts.


Scott and Jenny arrived at 6:15.  We sat very far apart during dinner.
They have both had Covid and we are over four weeks out from our second shots.
I cut up part of the ham and Gary grilled it (topped with a mix of brown sugar and mustard).
If you want a different, really good salad....try this.
Steamed asparagus, cherry tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, crumbly blu and a nice vinaigrette dressing.
Oh, and I topped it with homemade croutons.
The Mac and cheese could have been a little zingiyer but it was good.


Wonder and all three cats were hanging out at different parts of the day.
Poor Seymour has tumors in one of his ears and because he scratches it, I have to clean it out with warm water and an ear wash.  I took him to the Vet around a month ago and it doesn't look like they can do much for him.  He does not come in the house nearly as often, as he thinks I am going to clean his ear.  Ironically, when I do it he is very cooperative and almost purring.  Could be cancerous.  I will continue to make him as comfortable as possible.  He's snoozing in the living room at the moment.

Night all.

 

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

There is a lot to unpack here! I bet it felt nice to have others over! I was reading the CDC guidelines for after the vaccines. Good job!
The food looks incredible.

We discussed having company after vaccinations and hubby still feels that no overnight people and those who don't vaccinate don't come inside. Of course we've been practicing pretty strict precautions ever since he was dx'd with cancer 5 years ago.
We could get up to 60 this weekend!