Followers

Saturday, March 14, 2020

Your New Favorite Macaroni and Cheese....

Another pretty dull day as far as the weather goes.









 After morning chores I went to Wegmans and it looked like this.
They are now closing from midnight to 6am to restock and clean.
Jenny and Scott were there when it opened and there was a long line of people
waiting to get in.  Of course many were still in hoarding mode and they
almost did not get any toilet paper.  A man had more than he needed in
his cart and heard them talking.....gave them one!  What a pleasant surprise.
 Also went to the feed store.
 Hopefully I have enough extra stuff to get through a few weeks.
Our county is in a state of emergency and today they closed all
22 school districts.  Earlier I was talking to a friend (who happens to be
the President of the school board) regarding what will happen here.
We have many kids who get free lunches and they are going to be
delivering food to them with the school buses.  They will also see
that each child will have their computer at home so they can continue
to get some instruction.  I really appreciate all that is being considered
to help these kids and their families (not to mention the teachers and staff).
 23 hours a day I am in a self imposed lock down
 with my buddies.

 Most days it is for 24 hours.
This afternoon I finished making the chicken soup I started yesterday (made the stock).
So that's in the frig for a couple meals.
 Tonight we went vegetarian again.
My end goal was macaroni and cheese with caramelized onions and fresh tomatoes.

 

First I caramelized the onions...and added the tomatoes at the very end.
At the same time I made a cheese sauce.
(Started with salt, butter, flour and a little chicken stock, about 2/3 of a cup.
When it was smooth I added milk....thickened....added grated
extra sharp cheddar cheese, a shake of Romano cheese and 
a squirt of honey mustard....my secret ingredient).                     

 Then I made the pasta
 threw on the cheese
 added the tomatoes and onions
 mixed it all up and topped with some grated pepper.
 I put in in the oven (covered) and went out to do chores.











 The salad was simple.
Romaine, raisins, scallions and crumbly blu.
 Also made a side of asparagus.
 Delicious.....try it.
That's it.

Night all.


3 comments:

Nancy J said...

Apart from fresh fruit and veges we do not have in the small garden, we could manage for at least 3 weeks, admittedly by the end we would be running a bit thinly on the good stuff, i.e. meat for Hugh, coffee for me, and cat food. Will get more this Monday or Tuesday, friends in Australia have cancelled their visit to us, as self imposed isolation for 14 days comes in at 1 a.m. Monday ( tomorrow). From anywhere. And there will be spot checks, if you are found to be flaunting that rule, quarantine will be IMPOSED !!!Self preservation is uttermost in all our minds. Hope you mange up there, and all the animals are OK. You will be coming into spring, and will have more of your own in the garden, as ours diminishes.

Val Ewing said...

Hubby is pretty much self isolated anyway but today starts mine. I've heard stories about the stores! There is even a few stores that closed for a day to do restocking!
I will have to get some feed next week for the elder mules.
But other than milk? I'm fairly good.
So no more art classes for a while right? Sigh....or singing? :(

Grey Horse Matters said...

We've got the same thing here. The stores are empty and if you do get something the check out lines are down the aisles. My UPS guy told me he delivered 700 rolls of toilet paper to one house from Costco. What would you do with that much toilet paper... maybe they plan to sell it to whoever they deprived of it. This is just crazy. We're pretty much stuck home for now except to go out for essentials. The mac and cheese looks delicious.