Friday, January 8, 2010


I knew it couldn't last for more than a day. We got a couple more inches of snow last night and it was colder today.

Put the horses hay back in the front paddock to avoid the wind.

Phoebe stayed in this morning, but Mademoiselle Gucci Poochie was game for joining me in the barn. Considering she was born in the south (Tennessee) she has adjusted very well to our northern temperatures.

I put her in before I was finished and Phoebe was very happy to have company.


Of course it had to start snowing again...Gary shoveled most of the driveway.

I decided to offer the ponies the indoor today, so I left the side door open.

Masterpiece went in and cantered around with his bum knee. That good footing gets them pretty motivated.

it snowed....

and snowed....

nice light, fluffy flakes....

Phoebe tuned in through the window.

Around 2:30 I put the pups in the car (which I warmed up for them) and we headed into town.
Just before I left, Jenny called from Tim Hortons to tell me that there was some serious excitement going on in Brockport...a couple hundred yards down the road from where she and the kids were sitting. Some guy was having domestic issues with his girlfriend (who had left the house) and he went outside with a rifle and a pistol and started shooting....The sheriff was called and arrived only to have his car shot...more back up and more shots. I guess the neighbor (woman) was shot and a sheriff took a bullet. Both are ok. In the meantime (before they caught the guy) they had lock downs in the public schools, the college and the schools in the next town over. The elementary kids did not get home until about 6 tonight! That section of the rode is still closed off.

I went to the bank and then to the Town Hall to pay the taxes. It was really snowing by then.

Such a quaint little village we have!

These are shots of Main Street.

One more stop...we went to Ryan's (grocery store) as there were many big sales going on. Within 5 minutes I got a call from a past boarder asking if I would go check on his horse. She would not get up and the person who was taking care of her had called him...minor detail, he lives in Wyoming. When I got there, the place was deserted and the horse was now cast in her stall. I tried rolling her over with ropes on her two bottom legs, but could not do it...then I phoned the vet to see how far away she was. Gary was not in the house and did not get my phone call to come and help (he was shoveling the driveway for the second time). The farm owner arrived (she had gone to pick up her kids from school once the lock down was over) and we put some wide webbing under her so we could move her. Eventually we got her up and she weakly walked to another stall and went down again. It was freezing and we had her covered...she was very distressed. Thank heavens the vet arrived and quickly gave her an injection for the pain. The news was not good, and Sunshine did not make it. She was a 31 year old Arab. It left me with a stomach ache. There is a lot I would like to write about the conditions over there, but I will bite my tongue before I get myself into trouble. I would advise anyone who owns horses without much experience....if you don't know what to do, CALL THE DAMN VET! Don't wait for hours and hours.

Gucci and Phoebe waited patiently for me in the car, and we did not get home until 5/chore time.

Gary helped me with water and I was done in just a few minutes.

Of course Phoebe went in first and the Gucci stuck it out with me.

This is what it looked like around 7pm.

Dinner was a big salad...romaine, cherry tomatoes, garbanzo beans, red onion, crispy bacon and crumbly blue. An English muffin on the side.

Poor Sunshine.

That's it...over and out. Night all!


Gail said...

Beautiful pictures but sad story!

Stay warm!

Brenda's Arizona said...

wow, the Sunshine part of the story saddens and distresses me. Can we strangle someone for you?

Dream Valley Ranch said...

Oh horribly sad for that poor horse. What an awful end to her life :( I am so sorry-I can only imagine how terrible and difficult that must have been to witness :(
sending you a big hug,

Sandra said...

I was distressed, too, when I read about sunshine :( Poor girl. People just think the animals will get better on his/her own. Some even laugh at me (including the vets) when I take my cat in if I think something is not ok (and I am usually right). We just have to persevere and try to do good by all the animals.

Anonymous said...

Very sad story about Sunshine - but it was good that you were there to help.

Domestic violence and guns is a very bad combination - many women die that way every year and some men too.

RoeH said...

Wow...what a day! And how sad.

Pat said...

Ooo, brrr..Just looking at your outdoor photos makes me cold. What a stressful day for you with the death of a horse and a domestic violence shooting.

You do have a lovely quaint town.

Achieve1dream said...

That's really sad about the poor Arab mare. :( At least she lived a long, good (hopefully) life. Sounds like you had a busy, busy day.