Followers

Sunday, April 11, 2010

MY KIND OF WEATHER

Just a splendiforous morning.
The sun made the grass look brilliant.
Signs of this early spring all over the place....
When the pups and I went out to the barn, Dream was ready to roll as soon as the door opened.
You can see how bright it was.
I let King Mustafa and Dream go out before the other horses...the first thing he did was ROLL. Here, he was just getting up.
Look who was with the herd today! I stayed out there for quite awhile, and then went in to clean stalls. The biggest pest was Pony. At the last barn he was turned out with geldings only...he's not used to having a 30 year old, 13 hand, in heat girl bugging him every minute. Fortunately, he just used body language to tell her to back off. No nasty behavior.

Most of the day they stayed in the big pasture.
After 5 they moved into the outdoor arena. KM wanted to roll again, but didn't feel comfortable enough to go down.
I am happy to say that I gave Berlin a good grooming today and actually rode her.
Used my bitless bridle and she was a perfect angel. She has not been ridden since December and could not have been better behaved. I could go on the buckle from the start. It felt good.
Made a very simple dinner. Beans and wieners with a salad.
Used up some leftover whole wheat hamburger buns.
Barb was doing chores tonight, so I took a nice hot shower and went for a stroll with my Canon Power Shot.
All kinds of activity out in the ring.


Here, you can really appreciate the size of KM. He is 17 hands and Pony is 13.
These shadow shots are very flattering....I should have such long legs and look like this.
Earlier in the day I dragged the front and side paddocks. They dried out very quickly.
We have a lot of painting to do this summer...the pergola is just one thing that needs a fresh coat.


The evening continued to be very pleasant. I think we may have reached the high 50s today.


This is a picture of Jay. He lives next door and lost his pasture mate a couple of weeks ago (to colic). Everytime I look over there, he is looking at our horses. He needs some company.

I love these next two shots of the pony. It almost looks like she is on a beach.
The colors are so monochromatic....and smooth.

And then we have these two!
Barb arrived around 6:45. It is hard for me not to go out to the barn...I am so used to it.
I will learn to enjoy the break.
I actually baked some cookies tonight. I NEVER BAKE! A new invention. The chocolate chip recipe called for a cup of nuts and I did not have any, so I added granola instead. Try it! Delish.


King Mustafa's first full day with the herd.


After our ride, Berlin was anxious to go back to her friends.



That about does it. Night all...

8 comments:

Diary From Africa said...

Your photos, as always, are lovely, Lori - and really capture the essence of your day .... the cookies look yummy, too & I like the sound of your ingredient substitution. Have a wonderful week !

Anonymous said...

All is well - and you got in a ride too! Sounds like a truly great day!

Louise said...

What a beautiful day you had. One of those days that you wish would never end. Your indoor looks gorgeous, as does your whole place.

B : ) said...

thanks for the Forsythia - haven't seen that in person for over 25 years!! If your legs were that long, the horses could walk right under you and you wouldn't have to mount : ) Perhaps your latest follower could find a nice retired horse for your neighbor - they grieve so when they lose their friends.

rebecca said...

Gosh, I love those first few pictures of Spring having sprung! Don't you love the world at this time with its smell of earth and the way it begins to spread its verdant blanket? What kind of flower is that in your first picture?

Love the horse who decided to give a smile to the camera! That was great! LOL!

((hugs))
Rebecca

Sandra said...

Your photos are always great, but the ones from this post are absolutely gorgeous!

Maery Rose said...

Your photos are so bright and clear! It must have been a sunshine day. It's so good to get out and enjoy the warmth and greening up. The animals seem to be enjoying it too (except for the bugs).

Grey Horse Matters said...

Great pictures as usual. Glad you got a ride in with all the work you had to do. This is great weather and it looks like your herd is enjoying it too. Funny, I look the same in shadows if only I really had such a good shape as my shadow does...