Followers

Monday, January 10, 2022

Back to Normal on This Arctic Day

The sunrise was beautiful, but soooo cold.
I made sure the horses had extra hay to keep them warm.



I even put haynets inside the run-in by their stalls so they could really get out of the wind.
Fortunately the sun came out this afternoon and it helped a little.


I went to Wegmans late morning and wanted to get a rotisserie chicken...."sorry, we got a late start today and won't have them for an hour."  Forget that.  I bought a whole chicken and decided to make my own. Gary opened up a bottle of wine (made by our friend Dick Rizzo)

and I proceeded to invent the way I was going to use it in the basting sauce (butter, olive oil and wine).  First I put salt and fresh ground pepper inside and outside, chopped up an onion for the inside and added some rosemary (that we have growing in a pot in the kitchen).  Would like to have put in a quartered orange but did not have one and poured in a little fresh OJ.  Basted the back, front and inside, added some parsley (which was partially frozen out on the porch).  Surrounded it with a couple of carrots, covered it with foil and put it in the oven at 375.
While it was roasting, I took a steamer.  Do you ever do that?
It was in the oven for over 1 1/2 hours.  (For the last hour I removed the foil so it would brown).
Boiled the last of the potatoes from our garden....
and made a salad with apples, craisins and walnuts.
The chicken was so juicy and tender.  I'd do this again.
Little Wonder went out for about a minute after dinner.  It was starting to snow and we could have a few inches by morning along with negative temperatures.
Now we have settled down for a winter's nap.



Night all.

 

1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

Sounds like you are doing better! That is good. We had another artic blast too. Looks like we will be at least 30 degrees warmer in a couple of days!
Whoot!

Your cooking skills are amazing.