Followers

Monday, July 26, 2021

#7320 Keeping An Eye On Berlin

Berlin was not acting normal when I got out to the barn this morning.  She had eaten her grain from last night, but was not as interested in her breakfast until I lead her to it.  It took her a long time to eat and she kept kicking out her back legs, the way they do when there are flys on them.  I brushed her, put on her fly mask, sprayed her and the next thing I knew, she was way out in the pasture with the rest of the herd.






I mowed the lawn after chores and kept checking on her.
She was either by the fan or in the indoor walking around.
I massaged her hips and all her legs and eventually she went back out in the paddock.
Still not right.

At 5:30 I decided to give her a gram of bute with some applesauce.  An hour later Karen put them in their stalls for the night.  I had loaded Berlin's up with shavings and went in to call my most knowledgeable horse friend (Andrea) to get some advise.  She had her feet trimmed a couple days ago....maybe she was sore.  Who knows.  Anyway, I sponged her off, soaked some homemade fake sheepskin trailering wraps with cold water and put them on all four legs.  By that time she was eating!   Yay! and was no longer kicking out her hind feet.  I put another wet set of wraps in the freezer and will put them on her the next time I go out for a check.  I hope she improves....as today I was worried it might be her last.

Days like this leave me without any desire to make dinner.  Just had a tomato and cheese sandwich.
Night all.




 

3 comments:

Nancy J said...

I would not want to eat either, if only they could talk. I hope Berlin improves, and you don't go to sleep worrying about the next morning. Heaps of love from a cool ,wet, windy, and almost sleety part of NZ down here.

Val Ewing said...

I often worry when I can't find Fred out in the forest pasture or he wanders off by himself. I know how hard it must be to see Berlin not feeling well.
Hopefully she does well now.

Dee said...

Dear Lori, it's Tuesday now. I so hope Berlin is all right. As Nancy J. said, "if only they could talk." Any of us who lives with animals becomes aware of their habits and the signs that all is not well. You surely seem to know a lot about Berlin, so I'm hoping that in your next posting or whatever you'll sure with us that all is well--that's what I'm hoping! Peace.