Followers

Monday, August 17, 2009

TWO THINGS...HEAT AND ROOF

Phoebe and Gucci started barking a little before 6am. When I looked out the kitchen window, there was J and his crew ready to rip the shingles off the roof of the indoor.

The horses were inside, but ran out when they started working.

Since I was up...started chores early.

Did not take very long, as they were out all night.

We put an old umbrella table and some barn chairs in the yard so the crew could have some shade.

By 7 a dumpster was delivered.

The south side was completely torn off by 9. I could not believe that they carried a couple of wheel barrows up the ladders and were pushing them around like they were on the ground.

Six guys....a big job. It got hotter and hotter and they knew they had to keep drinking a lot of water.

A delivery truck dropped off some supplies....

rolls of whatever goes under the steel roof panels...

The north side was slow going...how they could even work with the temperature over 90 is beyond me. I had every fan we own going in the house. Usually it feels like we have central air because of all the big trees surrounding us, but after so many hot days in a row, it knuckled under. Just when I had to spend the day cleaning the house....

By 4 they were done and cleaned up...I was still working on the inside. Did chores, took a shower and went down to Wegmans to buy some food. There will be 9 of us for most of the meals this week. The kids prefer things like tacos, mac and cheese etc., but I will throw in some goodies in between. Tomorrow we hope to go swimming at Tina's pool...watch, it will rain.

The sky was beautiful when I took the masks off. The horses were in the indoor and the air was humid, hot and stale. It was still about 82.

Went back into the house and put away the groceries. At 9 Gary headed out to the Buffalo airport to pick up Steph and the kids. I would really appreciate having this old farmhouse cool off before they get here. That's it for now. Night all.

8 comments:

restoration42 said...

It the heat wave typical for this time of year in your neck of the woods? Your roofing team looks totally pro. Heck of a job in the heat. It was so kind of you to provide them with shade.

Unknown said...

The men are courageous to work on a roof with such a heat.
Have good times with your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed when I see people working out in the heat. Your barn is impressive and the roof looks like it's well done.
Hope you don't have too much more heat there. We have a heat wave here too.

Mary Ellen said...

It's sweltering up here, too. I went to WalMart at 9:40 last night and the temperature was still 84. I think our low was 74. We're definitely not used to it up here, but I'm trying not to complain for fear Mother Nature will retaliate by bring back the 40 days of rain.

Lisa & Gerald said...

It always happens when a roof needs to get done..It's always the hottest day of summer..Oh it's been warm here too for a few days..Im loving the beautful sun even if it's hot...Hope you are enjoying this week with your family over...Have a great time with them..Hugs

Frank said...

It WILL cool off, it WILL cool off. That roof work is hard to even look at. Hot and exhausting. You guys do not have to have central air?? Fantastic (I guess)

Gayle said...

A great work crew is worth their weight in gold. You are so lucky...wish I had the means to hire some workers to finish up our projects! :)

What I would do to trade my 45 degrees and rain for your heat. I'm not ready to move into winter.

I wanted to thank you for your music selections. You have enabled me to be lazy. I no longer have to think...I just put on your website and set to cleaning the house. :)

You should invest in an air conditioner for the really unbearable days. We have a small one upstairs otherwise sleep is impossible.

Stephanie - Siouxzeegirl Designs said...

I can't even imagine dooing roofing in that kind of heat!

Things are looking great at your farm!