Followers

Friday, August 14, 2009

LET'S SEE....WHAT DID I DO TODAY?

The primer made the farm wagon look so much better. Today Gary will work on finishing it.

A very beautiful morning...I picked the pasture before I did the stalls, as it was heating up quickly. The temperature was in the high 80s today....pretty hot for a person who likes 70.

I tried putting the hay in the paddock, but the horses wanted to be under the shed roof in the shade. Only put out 6 flakes, as they have grass all day....The minor detail is that when it is so hot they don't stay out on the pasture...they prefer to be inside soaking up the floor.

The flies drive them in.

My supervisor was on duty.

When I was picking the pasture the mixed flowers looked like a bouquet up against the fence.

At 10:30 I brought Masterpiece into the grooming room and continued to work on getting rid of his remaining thick hair. I did this once before, but did not get it all. By the time I finished he looked pretty good. At 30, he did not totally shed out. I got quite a bit off and sponged him down with a peppermint wash...he loved it and then went outside to roll.

Did not grow a ton of leeks this year, but have around 400 onions and 2500 heads of garlic.
I want to store at least half of the onions...use them everyday.

When it gets this warm, I do a small job....go in the house by the fan, have a drink and go out a little later to do the next one. Most of the outdoor arena dried out, so I dragged it and the indoor.

A little breeze would have made things more comfortable.

Tomorrow I am going to Walnut Hill with Tina and Sandy. Hope to do a very special photo shoot as Darrin and Trina loaned me a fabulous camera (with lenses and all that stuff I don't know how to use). We shall see what happens. I am taking my old camera (held together with a rubber band) just in case.

The recent lack of rain allowed me to mulch and mow the front paddock. Fed the horses there tonight. I'm trying something different...gave Target and Pony their hay cubes with dinner and am leaving the horses out all night. Opened the pasture closest to the paddock and I suspect they will sleep in the indoor where the footing is nice and soft with no bugs. The temperature is perfect now.

No cooky dinner tonight! We went down to Barber's for burgers.

I've taken you here before...it has existed since the late 1920s....you know, tin ceilings and all that.

For a Friday night, the street was pretty quiet.

I expected more activity...there were only 3 boats at the Welcome Center. Last week at this time there were 22!

Left the village at 8pm.

After a quick stop at Wegmans, we got home after dark...the horses were happy to get their masks off. Gucci is in deep tapioca, as she thinks it is fun to chew on baskets when we are gone.
Does not want me out of her sight.

It's 11pm...I'm not putting the horses in and will go watch the news. Night all. I hope I have some great photos for you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

I was talking to some horse people last week and they were shocked that you have 30-year old horses. One lady just lost her horse at 18 which is considered very old. I suppose the differences in our climate affect life expectancy. Just curious why you are deciding to leave the horse out at night? How did it go?

BroomJockey said...

Okay, quick question. What is this peppermint wash you speak of? How do I make it? I think my horses (especially my old pony who is having health issues) would love this. As usual, beautiful pictures and I love this blog!!