Followers

Monday, December 13, 2021

I'm Back....11th, 12th,13th

The weatherman was not kidding when he predicted high winds.  On Saturday the temperature went up to 64 and we had wind gusts over 60mph until midnight..



I took The Rebel's blanket off for a few hours.



I knew the weather was about to change so I put a sheet on The Rebel.

At 1:45 we went down to the Community Center as they were passing out rapid covid tests to people who resided in the Town of Sweden.

I was very impressed by the response.
By mid afternoon the wind kicked up 
and it started to rain so I ended up putting the horses in the barn at 3:30 with all the doors secured.


I went back out at 4:30 to give them their evening feed and we lost power.  There was a big bang and it went on and off three times.  Of course, by 5 it was pitch black in the barn.  Before I went out we located some candles and had already started a fire in the kitchen to keep that space warm.  No furnace or electricity.

Fortunately it was sunny on Sunday morning.  The house was about 53 degrees.







We had to pick up a lot of shingles that blew off the horse barn.
Finn came up to help Grampa clean up downed branches and part of a big tree.
Little Wonder kept bugging him when they were finished.  Normally he is ignored.

I had evening chore duty and this time a brought a flash light with me.  Still no power.



As it was getting dark, I made us a delicious dinner.  Gary grilled pork chops and I made carrots, fried cabbage and homemade applesauce.  All done to candlelight.
This morning the house was in the low 50s and it was around 40 outside.
A gorgeous sunrise.




At 7:30 in the morning, the barn was very dark....not so easy to clean Rebel's stall.
It was still pretty windy, coming from the West....so the Ponies spent some time in the outdoor arena where they had some protection.


Around 10:30 the power came back on!  So appreciative.  I took all the food out of the cooler on the back porch and put it back in the frig.
At 11:00 I went down to the Community Center for a Senior Association Pizza party.  There, I was given more rapid tests to pass out to the everyone.

We had a great turnout.
At 3 the Farrier arrived to trim Rebel. Just as she was trimming a front hoof, the sun came through the window and shined right on it like a spotlight.
He was such a good boy.



As you can see, the wind has blown away every single leaf.
Going to Jenny's for dinner and will finish this post when we get back.
3 days worth....a long one.
Another green meal.  Pasta in a vodka sauce, salad and bread.



Back home by 8 and so happy to have electricity and heat.
Night all.







 

3 comments:

Nancy J said...

I think the best about having power is having running water, when we relied on an electric pressure pump. But for you up North, heating would come higher on the list of Must Haves. Your temperatures are quite cold. Not far from us, there has been huge flooding, trucks and pumps working overtime to clear drains etc .We are higher and dry, the driveway has wonderful drain pipes set into the concrete.

Val Ewing said...

I was wondering what happened! I know a loss of power can be a not so great thing. That must have been some winds.
We are supposed to have 35 mph winds tomorrow afternoon...Wednesday with gusts to 60mph. I am not looking forward to night winds. The temps will get to the 60's and then drop I guess? Strange weather.
Good thing you are all safe and sound.

lilysgrannie said...

Oh my, glad you are back and safe. I checked you blog a few times yesterday as I was concerned about you.