Followers

Monday, April 20, 2009

THE CLINIC AT GLEN DARACH FARM....


Yesterday while Abbe and I were having our lesson, my friend Joan was taking these pictures. Usually I am always the one taking them and never get in front of the camera.  

So here we are...as I said yesterday, lounging correctly takes some serious coordination.

Considering all the auditors and other horses, I have to say that Abbe was a pretty good girl.

And of course, I thought she looked beautiful....

I guess it all depends on what you want...  I know I need to be more disciplined when I do things.  My horses are well mannered, and I am happy with them...BUT!!!  I have never been a "trainer" type....  Whatever I do at my age, has been for pleasure.  I still like to ride and don't take chances.  My horses all trailer well.  They cross tie for the farrier and are good for the Vet when they get shots. People can walk through my paddock and the horses respect them.  I have taken lots of classical dressage lessons...participated in a Quadrille...even did barrels and key hole with my first horse.  BUT!!!  I am "backyard" and a mush about animals.  I respect them and expect the same...will always advocate for them.  I want us all to be safe, happy and healthy.

I'm living the dream....just want more knowledge and to have Abbe pull a cart...is that asking too much????

It won't be too long before I find out if this is going to work.

Thanks for all the photos Joan!!!

6 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

You are awesome!!!
I think that you are so grounded with your horse owning,pleasure seeking, life there...I love reading about this new venture of driving...I too will be learning this someday...but will live vicariously through YOU till then!
Lunging is an art form...my sister taught me and I love to do it..it is NOT just for a horse to get it's kicks out..it is school!
And OH! Quadrille!!!You amaze me and that is a dream of mine too! I would love to hear more on that subject sometime Lori!

Keep it all up...you are Massively "INTREPID RIDER FACTION"
horsewoman!
Kac

Lori Skoog said...

Kac....Thanks for your generous comments! I have to tell you, I never lounge any of my horses before I ride.
The first thing we do around here when we get on, is to ride for a few minutes on the buckle. (Because I have the indoor, I usually get on in there and then go into the outdoor or down the lane). Quiet trail rides are the best. If I had to lounge first, I would never ride.

Abbe is being schooled this way because we are giving her the best foundation possible before she is hooked. And if she is not bent towards driving, she will not be forced...she will be great for riding.
I just need to find out from the trainer I respect the most.

San said...

Abbe is a beautiful creature. Keep us posted on the cart-pulling progress.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Abbe is beautiful and looks great on the longe. I feel the same way about my horses, I truly believe my showing days are over and I'm strictly backyard now. But hey, you never know... I respect my guys and expect the same in return. Looks like you had fun, I've got to get with the program and start longeing mine too, but at least I have help, my daughter does an awful lot of the work around the farm and with the horses. I usually leave it to her since she is a professional and I am not.

Lori Skoog said...

Abbe looks great Nanna!

Karen McLain said...

Abbe is beautiful! How far into training are you? I would like Comanche to pull a cart. Sometime I will send you a pic of Liz. She was the draft horse I that inspired, "Liz the Hairy Horse". She was 35-36 when she passed on. I still miss her.