Followers

Monday, August 31, 2009

MY KIND OF WEATHER....

Yesterday I took over 140 photos while I was touring the gardens and had a couple that were not part of the tour. Just more great examples of local flavor.



I am very fond of this particular house. It belongs to a friend of ours and I will have to take some shots of the interior for you....a kitchen to die for if you are into cooking.

Yesterday I forgot to post the next two pictures of friends who participated in the tour.

Herb F. and Judy C. (the best cook I know!).

Al (carver), Gary and Brenda (exceptional painter). Good friends.

Here are some leaf castings that were in the raffle at the Alumni House.




Now, on to today. A very cool, bright morning....cool enough to require sweats.

The sky was full of cotton....

Chore time is so short now....

There they are....all facing in the same direction again....



When I got in the house I made a batch of sauce with the tomatoes left from yesterday (Gary made his first of the season). If we do this every week for the next month, we should be all set. So far we have 9 bags, which we freeze. Our ingredients are onions, garlic, carrots, celery, peppers, Italian parsley and tomatoes. A quick sauce that is very fresh tasting...especially in the middle of winter.



One of my students (Mel) stopped in to show me the drawing he started in class last Tuesday, and as he will not be around for a couple of weeks, he wanted me to see it. Mel is just starting out with colored pencil and it looks like he is going to be a star! I am so impressed.

Gary brought home some flowers after they cleaned up yesterday....

After lunch Abbe and I got together for some work. I am going to do a lot with the poles to get her desensitized.... more comfortable with the shafts of the cart when she is turning.

I drove her outside, so we could do more straight work. The way I have the poles on her is not working!!!! They slide to the right and left and get all unbalanced. Tomorrow I am going to think of a better way to do this. When I tried to make adjustments, she did not stand as well as I wanted her to. Frustrating. Finally, I took them off and tried to end on a good note.

I got going on evening chores a little later than usual. A little domestic in the kitchen and did not pay attention to the time.

Now the pastures are shady at night so I can take off their masks...these cooler temperatures are so fine...

Tonight's dinner....Mushroom veggie burgers with cheddar cheese and fried onions on an English muffin...roasted onions, potatoes, carrots and beets...cucumbers, carrots and onions in a marinade (tastes like fresh pickles). Healthy and delicious.

It's night even 9pm, so I'm not tired yet. Who knows, there may be more.

6 comments:

LIT said...

Just stumbled onto your blog last night and had to return tonight. I love that you see all around you as a vacation, i.e. enjoying each day in the familiar as if it is the first time ever for you. And, of course, it really is because everything is always changing. So few people have that realization.

Enjoyed my visit in your space so very much and plan to return often. Thank you.

Brenda's Arizona said...

Love your photos. And your comment on working with the poles - I strongly believe in finishing on a positive note. When I am training Sophie, I can get pretty frustrated. She can, too. So we always, always, finish on a positive note. It makes us both hopeful and excited when we start again the next day.

The artwork is awesome. Such a talent!
Thanks for the response on horses wearing masks. Now I understand.

photogchic said...

I love that stone work on the barn. I think that is the first time I noticed it. Do you know when it was built?

allhorsestuff said...

Hi there Lori!
Hay, thanks so much for asking about me...gettin' better everyday now. Therapy works wonders!
Riding is totally the only thing that does not hurt.

Don't ya love this weather...cooler and some colors that are changing too. Nice tour and those houses are fantastic..can't wait to see the interior of that special grey house.
I got ointo making those leaves a few summers ago..it was really cool to do. I have a Gunnera(sp?) leaf that is huge..took 3 batches of cement mix and I could not lift it by myself..it resides at the front gate with a little frog in it.

I wonder if you draped another partial sucingle on Abbey's hind quarters that also had attachments to the front one somehow( I can totally see it in my mind's eye.)You could then attach the polls to her hind better and they would not twist or get under her.
Good luck with that..how exciting! ONe oif the stables I am looking at now to board with for winter, does driving..mostly ponies. The "Coverall" arena is 10 feet longer and wider than the largest arena's around for turning the carts.
blablabla here...seeya
Kacy

Gayle said...

The leaf castings really turned out wonderful. I love the houses in your area. The sauces sound tasty. I hope to be able to freeze a few things next year.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Hmmm - what about modifying a tire drag to incorporate the "shafts"?