Followers

Saturday, October 2, 2010

ABBE'S TURN...

The sunrise was very bright....

and cast beautiful light on the back porch















The leaves are beginning to change color....fall has arrived.


















Barb helped with the chores...I was in slow, but we still made good time.  The ponies are still managing to get a decent amount of grass.

I went over to the grooming/tack room and started pulling out sheets and blankets...all needed to be cleaned. My favorites are closed front (not waterproof) stable blankets that must be over 20 years old.  I love putting them under a rain sheet...they fit so much better than the blankets that have straps or clips in the front.  I just ordered some rug wash for the Rambos. 

There must be a total of 20 and I am feeling overwhelmed.  Two of the ponie's sheets were able to be washed at home, but the rest????  The local laundromats don't want to see me comin'....and paying someone is so expensive.

Barb was coming back to help me with Abbe, and I was stilling cleaning tack when she got back at 11.  The saddle just didn't fit her in the shoulders (Stubben  Tristan that I have used on every horse we have ever had) so I used my Albion and it was much better.  She has a broad back and no withers.  The no withers part is a real pain.

I had to go and change my clothes and let the dogs in from the back yard.

















The kittens were snoozing on the love seat.

Started Abbe off with some ground work...free lounging at the walk and trot.  She was very quiet and responsive.  Barb had never ridden her, but got on and did a great job.  She never used a hackamore and it took a little getting used to.  I so appreciate her gentleness and adaptablity.  It will take awhile for them to get a good line of communication going, but today was terrific.  Finally, Abbe was getting some work.










































When we finished, I put the dogs in the car and we went to Tractor Supply...found fleas on both pups and the Animal Hospital was closed.  Wanted to see what I could find.  Have any of you used something other than Advantage? 

Proceeded out to Glen Darach Farm to give Andrea an 84" Rambo winter blanket that used to belong to a Belgian that lived here for many years  (before he passed at 32).  She has a couple of big horses...hopefully it will fit.  While I was there, a saddle fitting was taking place.  It just happened to be a black, Stubben Tristan...exactly like mine.














On the way home I stopped at Apple Creek Farm to pick up some drops for the horses.  Phoebe and Gucci were happy to run around.

Barb had chore duty tonight and Gary made us dinner.  Veggie burgers with onions, corn and he sauted up some onions, zucchini and tomatoes which we topped with grated Pecorino Romano cheese.


















While Gary was cooking, I gave Gucci and Phoebe a shower.  They like having their hair dried!


















Gary had started a fire in the kitchen, so it was nice and toasty for them.


















Sidney and Seymour provided me with entertainment for the rest of the evening while Gary went out to his favorite chair in the Workshop to do some reading.


































Night all.  I'm heading for the fire and a cupa tea.

4 comments:

Louise said...

What a lovely, full day you had. Love the picture of Seymour sticking his tongue out. (am I getting my cats mixed up?)

Grey Horse Matters said...

It's nice that Abbe is getting some work. I know what you mean about the no wither problem we've got the same thing with Dusty and Blue. Finding a saddle is very frustrating. I read your other post, and was so happy to hear that you were back in the saddle on Berlin, sounds like a wonderful horse.

As usual love all your pictures of the critters and your day.

We found someone who would do our blankets(dry clean) for about $10 each. It was a cleaner that did work overalls, uniforms and such. They came out great and it was cheap enough. Don't know if there's anyone in your area with a similar business.

sandy said...

Lotsa work you are doing and nice that Gary cooks too. Again, cozy fire and the photo of the cats on the love seat..looks wonderful.

Terry said...

Nice! I especially like the sunlight photos, and the photo of the fireplace. So cozy!