Followers

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

FOR ALL MY HORSE FRIENDS....


When I Am Old....

I shall wear diamonds
And a wide brimmed straw hat
With ribbons and flowers on it
And I shall spend my social security
On white wine and carrots 
And sit it the alley of my barn
And listen to my horses breath
I will sneak out in the middle of a summer night
And ride the dappled mare
Across the moonstruck meadow,
If my old bones will allow.
And when people come to call, I will
smile and nod,
As I walk them past the gardens to the barn
And show, instead, the flowers growing 
there in stalls fresh-lined with straw.
I will learn to shovel and sweat and
Wear hay in my hair as if it were a jewel.
And I will be an embarrassment to all
Who look down on me
Who have not yet found the peace in being free
To love a horse as a friend,
A friend who waits at midnight hour
With muzzle and nicker and patient eyes
For that's the kind of woman I will be 
When I am old.

Lou Cadwell

No comments: