Followers

Friday, February 22, 2008

Getting Started




6:45 and time to get up...let out the dogs, feed them and the cat, soak beet pulp for the horses morning feed, fill gallon jugs with hot water (to soak hay cubes for the two oldest mares), put coats on the dogs and go out the door.  Today there is snow covering the driveway and I am not slipping on the ice. Everyday the routine is the same... it doesn't matter how I feel or if I am tired.  I open the barn door and turn on the light to find seven beautiful creatures waiting for their breakfast.  The dogs, Josh and Phoebe, are with me but do their own thing.  Josh takes a walk around the outside of the pasture fences and Phoebe runs up the stairs to see if she can find a cat in what she considers to be her territory.  While the horses are eating their grain, I put hay in the paddock.  This along with stall cleaning can take anywhere from two to three hours.  My friends think I am crazy to do all this physical work at my age, but it is my greatest pleasure and keeps me moving!  At 10am a Dad and his daughter arrive with their horse to use the indoor arena.  They have a lesson tomorrow from their trainer and want to prepare.  I enjoy sharing the facility, tho it is not being used as much for clinics and lessons as it was a few years ago.  They left at 11:15 and the farrier arrived at 11:30 to trim four horses.  Had time to eat a quick lunch when another friend arrived with 2 of her grandchildren to visit the horses.  Did not catch a minute for myself until late afternoon.  Started dinner and back out for evening chores.  A hot shower feels good at the end of the day...then it's couch time.  Lori

No comments: