Followers

Sunday, November 27, 2011

SUNDAY STILLS CHALLENGE - BOKEH

Until this challenge, I never heard of "bokeh."  As a seat of the pants photographer, I have not taken the time to really study.  It's the story of my life, not reading the directions for my cameras and computer.  So, I looked back through some of my gazillion photos and picked out some that were examples.  Now I have to figure out how to do it on purpose.

From Wiki: “Bokeh occurs for parts of the scene that lie outside the depth of field. Bokeh is often most visible around small background highlights, such as specular reflections and light sources, which is why it is often associated with such areas.  However, bokeh is not limited to highlights; blur occurs in all out-of-focus regions of the image.”  Bokeh is not just for DSLRs with fast lenses.  While bokeh is easiest to create with a DSLR due to their larger sensors, it is not impossible to do with a point & shoot.
Bokeh is created in one of two ways. A short focal length between the camera and the subject and wide aperture (small number, i.e. f/2.8 if your lens will open that wide) while keeping the background as far away as possible.  A long focal length between the camera and subject, and the widest corresponding focal length while still keeping the distance between the subject and background as large as possible.  A longer focal length will increase the depth of field – a larger focus plain – so the background would have to be farther away than with short focal lengths, otherwise it will all be in focus!















To view more examples, click on Sunday Stills in my sidebar.

11 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Those are beautiful pictures. I've never heard of that before either. I'm like you never read the instructions just flying by the seat of my pants in photography and life in general. Your sky pictures from your last post are amazing.

Just Ramblin' said...

These are gorgeous captures. You have talent. : )

Jo said...

It's the first time I hear of bokeh, Lori, but I've noted it and give it a try. According to my husband I only read instructions if all else fails! I will go to my manual now and check up on this. Hope you're having a wonderful Sunday. You photos are STUNNING! Blessings, Jo

Shirley said...

The second one and the last one I really like.

Inger said...

I never hear of it either and for now I just point and shoot. Then I see photos like those by our friends in Nova Scotia, Ron and Jim, and think I should take the time to learn, to buy new lenses, and so on. But so far I haven't. This was interesting.

Lori, you have no idea how you helped me right now. When April comes around, I want to participate in the A to Z Challenge again and my subject will be Sweden. I had all the letters figured out except K, N, and U. So when you asked about Korv, I squealed in delight! That's what I will use for K! Thank you so much. No, we don't have any Swedish stuff around here, but the one and only Swedish deli in Los Angeles is located in our old neighborhood. There you can get all the cheeses, herring, korv, Christmas ham, glogg, and decorative items, cookbooks, and so on. It is run by and old guy, a Mr. Olson. He said he wanted to keep it open for as long as two of our Swedish actresses, Signe Hasso and Viveca Lindfors were still alive because they loved to shop there. They have both passed away, but Mr. Olson is still going strong. There are lines around the block at Christmas time, everyone wanting their Swedish cured hams.

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

I'm a non-instruction reader, too, though I sometimes have to refer to them when I get too frustrated with not being able to figure it out on my own. I really like the colors of the reeds(?).

Saun said...

Awesome shots I love the grass shot and your little kitty.

2browndawgs said...

Very nice examples. :)

Anonymous said...

lovely shots

Sharon Creech said...

Love the explanation and love these photos. Now I'll go see if I've accidentally produced any w/bokeh. . .

diane b said...

Welcome to the world of bokeh. try Christmas lights in the background.It makes beautiful bokeh.