Followers

Monday, January 27, 2014

Corn Chowder

This recipe goes out to Annette at Oak Creek Ranch.  I hope it is something that Brett will eat!!!
I'm embarrassed to say that I had never made corn chowder until about a month ago.  It is so easy and a perfect warmer upper for this nasty winter.  I found it online at allrecipes.com and it is called "Gramma Brown's Corn Chowder."
Here goes.  As you will see, I don't follow recipes very well.

The ingredients:

1/2 pound bacon (I used 6 slices)
2 stalks celery chopped (I used organic)
2 small onions diced (I used 1 very large onion)
2 Tablespoons margarine (I used real butter)
1 (14.75 ounce) can cream style corn
1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn (organic) you could use frozen, or better yet, in the summertime you could take it right off the cob (but who wants hot soup when it's 85?)
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk (I used organic no fat)
6 small potatoes (I used 4 large Idahos)
2 carrots chopped (organic)
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
salt (I used sea salt) and
fresh ground pepper to taste

I added two tablespoons roasted red pepper diced (pimento)

Directions:

1.  Dice bacon and fry until almost done.  Add onions and celery, saute until tender.

2.  Transfer to cooking pot (I did not switch pots).  Add creamed corn, kernel corn, butter and broth.  Stir, then add diced carrots and potatoes.  Let simmer for around 15 minutes.



 3.  Mix flour and a little water to form a paste.

4.  Add milk and flour paste (I mixed them together with a wisk before putting it in the soup).
You may need to add more paste if you want your chowder thicker.  Simmer for 30 minutes.  Add salt and pepper and chow!

Approved by the test kitchen at Skoog Farm.

bon appetit

4 comments:

Nancy J said...

Looks so yummy, perfect for a cooler morning start, we had just over 3 Celsius early on!!! Autumn has arrived. Cheers from Jean.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

Oh, man, that looks good! Brett would definitely eat it (without the pimentos). It has bacon, one of his favorite foods. I wouldn't switch pots either.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Oh boy, yum
Lily

Grey Horse Matters said...

It does look tasty. I might even give it a try, though I'm not much of a cook.