Followers

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Forget The Pictures And Listen To The Music!

Time for another Sunday Jam Session!
I can't tell you what fun is is to participate with my baritone ukulele!
Today there were 11 of us....a keyboard, a beat box, 2 baritone ukes, a bass and 6 guitars!
Our playlist included a very wide variety of songs... "Wooly Bully",  "Louie Louie", "You Don't Know Me", "Desperado", "Don't Be Cruel", "Down By The Riverside",  "This Little Light Of Mine",
"Swing Low, Sweet Chariot", "Wagon Wheel", "Wild Horses", and many, many more (on other days... "Lay Down Sally". "Weight". "Take It Easy", "All About The Bass", "A Little Help From My Friends", "Hotel California", "Moondance", "Stand By Me"....blah, blah, blah.   Someone suggests a song, and off we go.  We are into Beatles, Blues, Country, Doo Wop, Jazz, Rock, Oldies,  Folk Songs and anything else you can think of.

Every single week I learn something new.
I can't play the uke and record, but I can play the tambourine at the same time.
Here I am, the second oldest (by a year) person in the room and loving every minute.
Talk about good for the soul!  Thank you Jim Foote (Village Music) for introducing me to this.

Now, I know these are not the clearest recordings, but you can see the impact music has on us.
I never played the baritone ukulele until about 3 months ago and if you would consider taking up an instrument (at any age) I would highly recommend this.  It has just 4 strings and they are tuned like the top 4 strings on a guitar...just MUCH easier to play and much larger than a regular ukulele.
I Google chords and lyrics, print them out and diagram the chords on each page.
Now I have a book started with about 50 songs in it.

Start this where you live!  You can do it.

We are very fortunate to be able to use
A Different Path Gallery.  Thank you Kathy!

Tomorrow I will concentrate on more photos.
Thanks for listening!
Night all.

2 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Sounds like fun, it was nice to see and hear something very different!
House plans are on hold for the weather and road bans. No heavy trucks allowed on township roads if the road bans are on.

lilysgrannie said...

Your videos are so cool! I took up the ukulele 2 years ago and play in two groups. Today we leave for Palm Springs for a ukulele festival at the Hilton - very exciting for someone 72 who never took music lessons.