Followers

Saturday, July 20, 2013

We Got It...

Last night the rain finally arrived and I think we must have gotten an inch.



 Gary brought in onions and beets from the garden.


The horses were in all night as it continued to rain...lots of wind.
 Lorrie was out of town so I soloed this morning and their stalls were a disaster.  The air was clear and it was so much cooler.
 There was a sale going on at Country Max so I went down and got some shavings.

When I got in the house I pickled the beets.
 Here's the recipe, in case you like them as much as I do.
(Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book)

1/2 cup water, 2/3 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, a shake of cinnamon, and a shake of ground cloves.  Heat to boiling and pour over beets (and onions) in a quart jar.
I used 5 beets. Yum.  Don't forget to store them in the frig.

Took a shower and watched some PBS cooking shows...never got to my book, but took a nap.  I can't tell you how great it felt to have the windows open.

Jenny dropped Ariana off while I was doing evening chores.


 I ended up leaving the horses in for a couple hours as the flies were really bothering them with all the water from last night.  When I went out to the barn to let them out, Moon was down....sleeping.
 Dinner was delish.  BBQued Sparribs, grilled potatoes and coleslaw.




 There were a lot of deer out back just before the sun set.




Finnegan, who lives across the street, is now respecting his repaired fence and has not been back for a visit.

This is the house next to ours.  It used to be the tenant house for our farm when the owners had 150 acres they were working.  Obviously it has been updated...a cute little place.
(I took this series of shots as I had to walk down the road to catch the sunset).
 The studio and mini orchard....
 our message to the world....
 the ginormous black walnut tree in our front yard...
 our 1823 farmhouse.





Sleeping should be good.
Night all.

7 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

Oh Good, Life Is Back, Heat It's Gone For Now....
Sleep Well Friend.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Delightful photos from start to finish!

A little rain for us, but not enough to really cool off, but it is 15 degrees cooler, which feels wonderful!

Nancy J said...

lovely flowers, great rain, your home and garden, a perfect place to be, nothing more could be added to enhance any more. Greetings from Jean.

Anonymous said...

You live in such a beautiful place!

Glad the cool down finally got to you - I love having windows open too.

Val Ewing said...

We got a front that moved through and no rain. Perhaps today or tonight we'll get some.

I love that studio! Wish I had one on our place.

I could work undisturbed in it!

Lovely shots, thanks for the tour.

Sharon Creech said...

Ahhh, the lovely cool down . . .x

thecrazysheeplady said...

How do you do your grilled potatoes?