Followers

Saturday, February 2, 2013

I Have Not Had Any Time To Read.....

Do you see the color of that sky?  It was like that all day.
 

There was too much of a breeze under the shed roof so I put the hay where there was less wind.




 Went to drumming at 1.  My friend Kris joined us for the first time and once again, there was no mercy for the new people.  They had to work hard and learn fast.

The crew was much bigger today and we had a lot of laughs in between "work outs."

Clyde Morgan (below) drums with us almost every Saturday and is the Artistic Director of Sankofa (African Dancing and Drumming Ensemble).  He is also an accomplished painter and currently has a show at The Gallery at the Arts & Cultural Council in Rochester.  I look forward to attending the artist's reception on February 8th.  Interestingly enough, his son was one of my art students in the distant past (can't remember what year).




 Khalid Saleem is the Musical Director of Sankofa and gives people like me the opportunity to participate in African drumming every Saturday.  This is not part of his job, he has done it for many years because he is one of the most community minded people I have ever met.  We never know how many will be participating as it is wide open.  There may be anywhere from 6 - 18 of us.  Several of the drummers are part of the Sankofa Ensemble and the rest of us vary in experience.  I'm in my 3rd year and only missed during my surgery.  Surprisingly enough, many of the regulars range in age from their mid 50s to 72.  Of course there are others that are younger and off and on college students will show up.  There are many opportunities for members of this group to perform outside of the Annual Sankofa Perfomance, which takes place at the end of the spring semester.  I have only drummed (twice) at a half-marathon held in Rochester each spring and at an event held at the college where we had a chance to drum for dancers.  Others have done much more, and I would like to also, when I feel confident enough to keep up with the pros.



Below is an example of an outside performance....this was at a gratitude celebration held at the college (where Gary and I also performed.... with our chorus).  Several of these people drum with us on Saturdays, and most of them are part of the Ensemble. 
If you live in this area and have never been to a Sankofa performance, you are really missing something.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, it was near feeding time when I arrived.

 These girls really appreciate getting tucked in at night during the cold months.
 Dinner....a great pear salad
 and a luke warm pizza from a fundraiser.  (Let's put it this way, I'm glad we did not have company for dinner).
Now, it's time for a movie...if I can wake up Gary from his nap in front of the fire.
Night all.

5 comments:

Nancy J said...

That looks like heaps of snow, do the girls have double covers on? I have a friend who drums, but he uses brushes and drumsticks, they have a trio performing group. I think what you do takes very strong hands and wrists. Lovely to listen to. Greetings from Jean.p.s. we have 31.1C at 4 p.m. equal to 86F, too hot!!!

Oak Creek Ranch said...

The pizza looks good -- but I'm not a fan of lukewarm either. Still working on the lesson video... editing, captions... takes forever. Yawn. She wore us out.

Val Ewing said...

Snow! It is beautiful and white and also irritating at the same time.

Looks like you've been terribly busy!

Sharon Creech said...

Thanks for the drumming sample; you've gotta dance when you hear those drums!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Yeesh, even your "bad" meals look good. Would love to try drumming sometime...but alas, I have no skills...