Followers

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

MORNING CHORE PARTICULARS....




Every morning I pick two wheel barrows of manure from six stalls.
When I put out the hay, I pull it on one of those little plastic sleds.
I prepare each horses feed in a bucket...when finished, I rinse them out and turn 
them upside down to dry out.
Three of the older horses (particularly my 28 year pony) have difficulty grinding up their
hay (and they have dental work done every year) so I supplement them with soaked
alfalfa cubes.
I have a little tv in my feed room and listen to the Today Show every morning during
the week...as you can see, I was running late today.
This is Safe Choice.  I feed it to my two easy keepers (Abbe and Berlin) as it contains 
less starch.
This is Nutrena 10/10.  It has a higher fat content, but not too much protein.  It works for the oldest horses.  They also get beet pulp plus Vitamin E and selinium.  Three also get Devil's Claw.  A different formula for each horse.
The hay goes out in the paddock or in a pasture.
Before I leave the barn, I prepare the alfalfa cubes for the evening feeding.
We are waiting for this hydrant (in the barn) to be repaired.  It leaks like crazy and I need to hit it with a rubber mallet to get it to stop.




Yesterday I dragged the outdoor arena...the footing is great.

All of this is for Fe, who is doing a study of horse farm terminology.



5 comments:

CoyoteFe said...

Hee! You are the best!

OK. What, praytell is an easy keeper?

And, why do they call it Devil's Claw? Sounds like a hot salsa.

(Gee, I hope there's no pop quiz!)

Gayle said...

And do you do this morning and night or is there an afternoon feeding?

Anonymous said...

That job must take hours! We spend a lot of time taking care of our horses, but I love the company... :-) Horses are so calm and such refreshing animals to be with!

Victoria Cummings said...

Lori - What do you do about picking up the old hay that they don't eat? It's my least favorite job, but if I don't do it regularly, I get these globby messy piles in the paddock. You're so organized. It makes me want to clean my tack room today. And the TV - do the horses like to watch too?

Unknown said...

Hello,

I'm learning words about the farm work. You cure your horses well. Do they tell you " Thank you !" at least ? I love especially the picture of the white horse in the meadow.