Followers

Monday, July 7, 2008

SKOOG'S ON TARGET









Target was born at Skoog Farm on April 4th, 1983.  His Dam was Little Brenita and his sire was Burgandy Beach (both were race horses...thoroughbreds).  We registered him with the New York State Breeders Association in case we ever wanted to race him, but he did not deserve that kind of life.  When he was younger, he was a skinny thing, and never filled out until he was 7.  We weaned him right here, and he soon ran with the herd.  I sent him out for classical dressage training, and he was not brilliant.  The trainer said that he was like some lifeguards...handsome with no brain.  I would take him back to the trainer for lessons (Attica) and started out using a double bridle.  What a handful of reins.  Fortunately that came to an end and we reverted to a snaffle bit.  He became Jenny's horse after he dumped me a couple of times, and they have always gotten along very well. He grew to be 16'3" and is a sweetheart. When I groom the horses out in the paddock, he does not want me to touch anyone but him...he will get between me and the other horse to get more attention.  I must say, of all our horses, he has the most steady gaits.

2 comments:

CoyoteFe said...

Love the individual horse tales (get it? Haha). [Had to stop posting to listen to that Amos Lee song - he's from Philly, by the way]. Methinks us non-horsey people need a glossary. Snaffle bit?

Kay said...

I love the horses.