Followers

Sunday, July 6, 2008

THE CAPTAIN, THE FIRST MATE, THEIR MATE AND THE STORY OF THE MANATEE...




It all started last August when Gary and I were walking along the docking area by the Welcome Center (which is on the Erie Canal).  I saw a beautiful dog getting off a big white sailboat and went over to meet it.  "Hatch" was his name, and he had arrived here with his owners, Jeff and Sandy, from Ohio.  The next thing I knew, I was engaged in a conversation with Sandy about dogs.  When we started talking about the sculpture "Howdeee" (installed next to the Canal), I found out that she was an Art Teacher.  Needless to say we had a lot to talk about.  We exchanged email addresses and communicated back and forth over the past year.  Yes! They have been doing this for almost an entire year.  They spent 4 months in the Bahamas and are now on the last leg of their journey.  Last night I received an email that they were going to spend the night in Spencerport instead of Brockport.  I was disappointed, but took a chance on catching them as they went through...and I did.  When they get to Buffalo, they will have their mast installed (or whatever you say) and they will sail back home.  The mast is 60 feet high.

I love meeting people and still view it as my form of traveling (since I seldom get off the farm).  I'm sure Sandy and I will continue to correspond and it was a real pleasure to meet this family...that includes Hatch of course!

2 comments:

CoyoteFe said...

You are the most "open to life" perons I have ever heard of (next to my Mom). I think that's fabulous!

Gayle said...

My friends are sailing with their three boys...you can see their adventures at http://sailfreespirit.blogspot.com/ Such an adventure!