Followers

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Three Birthdays...

 There was a little color in the sky this morning and the temperature was a mere 62 degrees!
 The house had cooled off and I closed all the windows.

 Karen and I did chores.  Uneventful.

 A little before 11 Jenny arrived to help me make potato pancakes.
We had been invited to Scott's mom's house for a 3 way birthday dinner and this was his request.
 Have you ever made potato pancakes?
 The ingredients:  8 russet potatoes, 2 onions, 2 eggs beaten, 2 -4 teaspoons salt, pepper, 1/2 cup matzo meal, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and oil for frying them.
 Peel and grate potatoes (food processor) then drain off as much water as possible by putting them in a strainer.  Place in bowl and add 2 grated onions and other ingredients.  Mix.
 If you use a 1/4 cup measuring cup, you can make 36 pancakes.
When you put them in the frying pan, make sure you flatten them out.
For oil, I mixed olive oil and cold pressed canola oil.
Don't turn them over too soon, or they will fall apart.
I lined a couple cookie sheets with paper towels and let them cool.
 At 1pm I drove down to the village for our Sunday Jam.
 Got home in time to take a shower and we drove into Greece for dinner.
Their home was gorgeous, with beautiful landscaping.

 Interestingly enough, the humidity disappeared (it was cloudy) and we were very comfortable sitting outside.  There were 12 of us, including Scott's sister, brother-in-law and 3 children, nephew Chase, his mom and step-dad, Scott, Jen, Gary and me.

 We started off with the potato pancakes.  The kids even liked them.
I must admit...they were delicious.  I like them with sour cream/apple sauce.

 After playing a little bocce (Jen and all the kids)...




 we had a spectacular dinner!





 I loved these two pieces of art.  The top one gives me an idea that I want to present to my students Tuesday.

 This was followed by two birthday cakes as we were celebrating the birthdays of 
Scott, Jenny and Chase.





 After dessert and gift opening....
 we headed back to the farm so I could tuck the girls in and feed them dinner.




 (The view out the back window in the horse barn)
 It was cooling down much faster than it did last night.
 My trusty barn dog was ready to go back in the house.
Night all.

3 comments:

C-ingspots said...

Looks amazing, all of it! I do, so miss family get-togethers. My mom used to fix what she called "potato patties" and they are a favorite of mine. Hers were a bit different, but similar. What is Matzo meal? Mom used flour, eggs, S&P and fried in oil.

Nancy J said...

Birthday Greetings to Jenny, Scott and Chase. What a great get-together, super yummy food, great cakes, and what a garden. Guess you are soon ending those hot summer days, down here still cool mornings but so much more daylight hours.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Sounds like party central over there
Snorts,
Lily & Edward