Followers

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Is Snooze Control Like Cruise Control?

 Once again the morning started off sunny (and frigid....single digits).
 Made sure the girls had plenty of extra hay to keep them warm.










 Between us, Gary and I shoveled the driveway (got about 3 inches of snow last night with a little drifting).
 When I got in from chores I made another batch of corn chowder...guess the entire winter is going to be calling for soup.



 You guessed it....Gary is still painting.
 My buddies were snoozing all over the place.




 This afternoon I made an effort to get some steamy shots from the side porch, but only had moderate success.







 It was pretty grey when I went out to do chores, but not totally dark until after 5:40.  That is an improvement.

I don't know about all my horse buddies out there, but I feed soaked beet pulp every meal.  When I mix it with their grain and it's this cold I can't get the buckets cleaned out and bring them into the house for a good scrubbing.  This sled is a big help to me as it is much easier to cart 4 gallons of hot water to the barn for their water buckets.  During the day there is a heater in the water trough.  The frigid temperatures demand some extra work.

 Phoebe and Gucci lasted outside through chores, spending most of that time in the hay loft.


Very simple dinner.
A Saint Tim Salad with oranges, banana and craisins....crumbly blue too.
 The corn chowder was delish.
Night all.

7 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

The chowder looks great for another wintry day. The cold temps make a lot more work that's fir sure.

Michaele said...

The chowder looks like a perfect comfort food. I am going to have to find the recipe. I am still in awe of your header photo. I think it just sums up this winter perfectly!! I don't even want to get out of bed tomorrow since I know what the week's forecast is.

Nancy J said...

I, too, think your new header is one superb photo, Gary, good place to be, these days, hope it's warm enough to dry the paint. Your sled, great idea, I have one but it's on wheels, for garden stuff!!! Greetings form Jean.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

How do you make your corn chowder? It looks delish! I think you did a great job of getting the steamy shots.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am also from WNY and have had horses most of my life, but not at this time. I was curious where you are in WNY as I am living in Niagara Falls. Originally from PA, my family has and is still in the horse business. My cousin rescues retired race horses. I too enjoy cooking and post recipes, although my blog is more photography and gardening. I am glad I stopped in to see your farm. BTW, I know a family named Skoog here in WNY. They used to live in Lewiston.

Val Ewing said...

I use a sled for so many things, dragging bales of hay, feed, anything is better than carrying it!

Love the 'dragon' breath shots. They sure are fun.

-12 here this morning. Going to be -23 tonight. Brr.

Two French Bulldogs said...

It's suppose to be freezing all over again. Yikes
Lily