Followers

Friday, December 23, 2011

GETTING READY....

 Gary helped me with chores this morning.  I added to my supply of goodies for Abbe.
 Last night I did a little sweat on her hind right and it may have helped.
 Put on a clean wrap this morning.  She was still gimpy (Sally).
 The temperature dropped so they are wearing their heavy Rambos.
 Mud everywhere....there was some talk of snow.
 The girls had breakfast under the shed roof...
 Romeo ate in his own run-in and went out for some grass.
 I had to run down to the UPS store to get some prints made....by then, the sky was trying to turn blue.

When I got back home, spent the afternoon cleaning.  Tomorrow night we have 24 for dinner.  Fortunately they are all bringing something.  It is going to be a feast, very casual and no presents.
I can't even remember how many years we have done this...but it sure typifies what Christmas means to us.  Good friends, conversation and comfort food.  Most of them would be spending it at home by themselves....so we started doing this so we could enjoy each others company.  The fire will be roaring.

When I finally was finished, Seymour and Gucci hopped up on the chair I had just "vacuumed."
 They thought they were helping me.
 Started dinner and went out to do evening chores.  Annette, there is no way you are going to catch up with me in the Piggy contest.  Can you believe how beautiful these ponies look?
 Why bother having blankets cleaned?  Abbe walked in much better than she was this morning.
Removed her filthy wrap and gave her leg the night off.

 A simple but delicious dinner.
 Boiled potatoes with sea salt, fresh ground pepper and butter...we always leave the skins on.
 Coleslaw with Al's dressing (1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup mayo).
 I had to make meatballs, which will be Swedish by tomorrow night, and while I was at it, figured I would make meatloaf for dinner.
 Yum.
So, the downstairs is clean...the meatballs are made....and I have a head start on tomorrow.
Night all.

8 comments:

Sharon Creech said...

24 for dinner? 24? Did you say 24? Well, it sounds like a festive group and if everyone brings something, I hope you will be able to enjoy the gathering. 24?

Carol said...

I like the way you have the big over hang to feed the horses under outside. I think we should incorporate something like this when we build our new facility next summer.
I know what you mean about dirty blankets. I used to wash them and then discovered it kills the waterproofing, so washing is rare now :) An occasional hosing is what they get.
Your food looks so good...
Merry Christmas!

Janice said...

Wow 24 now that's a houseful...betcha there will be good food galore. Your dinner looks prettygood. Lori you always make me hungry....not always a good thing:) I guess it depends on what time I read your blog.Well I'm wishing you and yours the best of wishes for a happy Christmas and a great New Year

Frank said...

The meatballs, potatoes and cole slaw look soooo good. The earth looks pretty icy and cold up your way. 80 degrees here today...Dr Porter took a stroll at our Christmas lighted boat parade. Delightful night. Gorgeous lights.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

Hands down, that is the best way to eat potatoes. I'm glad Abbe is walking a bit better. Jackson seems a bit improved as well.

forgetmenot said...

Just wanted to "drop by" and wish you a Merry Christmas. Mickie :)

Gayle said...

I would think it would be wonderful to gather with 24 people for Christmas. We will have ten...but that's just Homer, myself and the kids. I love big gatherings (we don't do them near often enough). I hope it goes perfectly for you and Gary.

Birdman said...

Merry Christmas Eve!