Tuesday, April 24, 2012


 More snow and part of the pastures have standing water.
 The pups ventured out to the barn with me.

 Fortunately, the temperature was going up a couple of degrees.

After chores I went to the hospital lab for blood work and then hit Agapes.  The receptionist had a birthday last week and there were two beautiful bouquets in the lobby.

 Did my thing.
 I really like this place.
 Home around noon and at 1:30 it was time for my class.
 Dick brought in some examples of paper weaving.  Can you figure them out?  Pretty clever.

 Donna has started a bug collection for her grandson.

 A couple of weeks ago I found several of these frames and gave them out so they could try to do some mini paintings and drawings.
 It was so cold, I didn't think we could get the Studio warm enough so we met in the house.
What a good time we had today.
 Sandy was back....we have really missed her.

 Our yard looks like a parking lot on class days.
 One week from today we are setting up the art show at the library.  I think this is the 10th annual.
 Five minutes before class ended I got a call from the vet, who informed me that she was out in the driveway.  I did not expect her to be early, so the class was on automatic pilot for awhile.

First, the girls got their spring shots....then we took Abbe over to the indoor for a movement demo.
When we got back to the grooming room it was decided that we could get the needed information with an ultrasound instead of the more expensive digital process.  That made me happy, and Abbe stood quietly for over half an hour.
 She has been lame off and on for over a year and a half and three weeks ago started getting worse.  My friend Andrea (the most knowledgeable horse person I know) was the one who found the spot that was causing the problem.  At first we thought it might have been her stifle, but it was just above her right heel.  
Apparently she had torn her flexor tendon a long time ago and there is some scar tissue in there.  When it is inflammed or retaining liquid, it makes it hard for her to flex normally.  I will try to make her comfortable with bute for the next few days and will be massaging that area with rubbing alcohol, doing some work with her hind foot.  We shall see.
 I was very proud of my two girls.  They were model ponies.
 Turned them back out for a couple hours before evening chores.

 At least the weather made an attempt to shape up.
 So much for today.
Night all.


  1. Come on, Abbe girl, get better! We are pulling for you, gitl.

    I would love to sit at that table with those warm people, even though I can't draw at all. Throughout high school, we could take art or chorus. I always took chorus until 1 semester I took art for a change. The art teacher and chorus teacher actually pulled me aside about a week in and asked me to return to chorus!!! Which I did. Pitiful!

  2. Winter calls from flowers, furry friends, so much nice stuff in this post.

    Aloha from Waikiki
    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } (°>


    < ° ) } } > <

  3. I hope Abbe is comfortable soon. It sounds like something you will be able to manage.
    What is your favorite machine/exercise at Agape?

  4. Crazy weather alright!
    Benny & Lily

  5. I bet you are relieved to figure out what is causing Abbes lameness.. it is so hard sometimes. I wonder if acupuncture would help. After this last cold spell all of my gardens look horrible. I hope your plants fared better! Love the artwork!

  6. A full day, Lori! Sounds like that exercise is addicting . . .and your art class looks so cozy . . . and the ponies so well cared for. xx


Thank you for reading The Skoog Farm Journal. I do not have google+ and am unable to comment on those blogs. Would love to reach some of you and need email addresses. Your comments are appreciated.