Followers

Friday, April 22, 2016

Thank You Friends!

Many †hanks to Thirteen Sheep, Marcy Doane, Grey Horse, Val Ewing and Annette.
I accidentally erased all of your comments instead of posting them.  Your concern for Gucci is much appreciated and I will keep you pos†ed af†er I speak to the Vet this morning.
Dancing Donkey had a great suggestion, if †he Vet has not tested her yet.  I hope she does not mind †hat I posted her response as i† may help others.

You've probably already done this, but if not, talk to your vet about tick borne illness. It is Spring and anplasmosis is rampant this year. It generally presents as lethargy and anemia. Bloodwork often mimics signs of cancer and many vets look there first rather than suspect ticks. A SNAP test costs about $30. The test may show only very slight positive, but that is enough to cause anemia and renal problems. I just had this conversation with a friend, her sister's dog presented the same way you have described. The vets decided that she did not need to be tested for tick borne disease because she had been tested in the fall, they charged the owner over $1000 for x-rays and bloodwork, which were all inconclusive. A different vet looked at the case the next day and retested for anaplasmosis because it is Spring. The test showed mild positive. The dog is now doing much better after 24 hours on doxycycline. I hope that Gucci is feeling better soon and the trouble is something on Not a Good Day....



6 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I hope she is feeling better soon. Good idea to test for any tick born symptoms. The horses have been coming in with them and the dog too. Lames is also a problem around here.

Stephen Andrew said...

Thinking about you all! Hope you'll have good news for us. Poor little sisters having to be separated!

Auntie Reg said...

Thinking positive thoughts. {{{{{hugs}}}}}
Auntie Reg

Val Ewing said...

Thank you for the update. Don't know why I didn't think of that or Lyme disease as Morris AND I have both had it. He acted like Gucci and I just felt terrible. Anaplasmosis and Lyme mimic each other and I'm glad she is feeling better.

Marcy said...

Hoping for good results with Gucci. I hate to see animals suffer and I feel like I know your animals a little bit after reading about them every day for a few years! Hope you are doing well with wrist recovery also.

Thirteen Sheep (Or More) said...

That is very useful and important information and I hope your vet tests for it. Do keep us posted!