Followers

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Looking Back at 2012

Warning
Unless you are a family member or have a lot of staying power, I sure don't expect you to get through the 12 months of 2012.

We had green grass in January.

Phoebe and Gucci loved Valentines Day.

It was cold at the Public Market in Rochester.
In March we sang with the High School Chorus.
Unusual weather.


Very interested in the Slow Food movement.
Tai Chi.
The pasture was gorgeous by the end of March.
 Snow in April.
Set up the back porch early this year.
Sankofa Performance.
We drummed at a half-marathon in Rochester...they really appreciate us bringing them up the hill.
Early spring.
By May Gary had a good start on the garden.
We had our annual art show at the library.
The Food and Culture class from SUNY Brockport came to the farm to learn about organic gardening.
May 14th I had my right knee replaced.
Not too much fun.  The dogs felt sorry for me.
Gary did all the chores, inside and out.
Had physical therapy at home, then started going to Agape.
Went out to the barn with a cane in June.
Gucci supervised part of my home therapy.
Ariana and Daniela arrived and stayed for over 5 weeks.

They helped with chores.
Daniela was totally into reading "The Great Unexpected" by our friend Sharon Creech.
Berlin and Abbe were surviving without me and bonded with Gary.
Within days of her arrival, Ariana broke her arm doing a cartwheel down at Jenny's.

That did not stop us from going out to the beach (Carol and Topper's)...
or to the Morgan Manning for the 4th of July, where they participated in the cake walk.
Of course we had to have wings at the Stoneyard.
My brother and his family came up to to connect with the Las Vegas delegation.  Fun day.

In the meantime, Karen arrived for a visit and did some socializing with Jenny and Kristen.

We all went down to the Canal (Welcome Center) to listen to Miles Watts and the Brothers from other Mothers.
 On June 16th Gary drove Ariana and Daniela to Binghamton where they were met by their other grandparents.   They spent a few days in New York and all went to Croatia for a month.  Gary took the long way home and was loving being by himself.  The next day he was talked into playing tennis and voila!  totally tore his Achilles tendon.  Yippppeeeee.

Was I ticked or what!!!!Now 8 weeks after my surgery I had to start doing all the chores by myself.  Fortunately I was cleared to drive by then.

Brice M. and his band came out to do a photo shoot and used one of the pictures for their new CD.
 In August we got together with Ann, Ron, Brenda and Al for one of our monthly dinners.
I made beet salad with oranges, toasted pecans and crumbly blue.
We had an amazing garden this year and made tons of sauce.
Had the pleasure of celebrating Carol and Topper's 51st aniversary.
Never spent so much time in a pool as this year.  Tina and Roger were very generous and I was there almost every day (85 degrees) for months.
Walnut Hill was spectacular as usual.
The Arts Festival was very successful this summer...love these carvings.
 I missed drumming from mid May to September and needed help lugging my drum in when I finally got back.  Took me awhile to get my stamina back up.  3 hours of drumming is a long time.


Carrie and Pete renewed their vows.

Our little orchard did not produce anything but plums and our 30 year old apple trees were jammed.

Could not have asked for a better garden.
Met Morgan.  Our farriers new pup.
In September we went to the grand opening of the SERC at the college.  There was a 600 person Flash Mob dance.  Amazing.
 For the first time, Coop asked if he could ride.

October.
What a scary bunch for Halloween.

Finn and Coop helped Gary plant garlic.

Sally, Judy and I put on a spaghetti lunch at the Senior Center.
Sandy Clark finished one of her drawings.  Our class meets every Tuesday morning (year round).
 
The weather was warm enough and we were able to meet in the studio through the end of the month.
Berlin had an abscess that lasted forever!  Soak wrap soak wrap.
 Every Wednesday morning (September - May) we sang with the chorus.

I had the pleasure of meeting one of my blogging friends who came all the way from Colorado to this area for a class reunion.  Cyndi from "Living the Dream." And her husband of course!
Attended several luncheons at Reflections (at Monroe Community College).  International cuisine prepared and served by students in a culinary arts program.
Then, along came Sandy and she really made a mess in Long Beach where our daughter and son-in-law have a two family great house.  At least it was.
 Went to a rally in Rochester for Louise Slaughter and Cathy Hochul.  Bill Clinton was there...very impressive.

In November there was a Village to Village race on the Canal.  Chilly!

Even tho we had a couple of frosts, this blossom hung in there.
When did we ever have pasture like this in November?
One of Jen's college roommates and her family stopped in for a visit.  First time with horses.  Sweet.
Thanksgiving.
And then a big slow food pot luck in the barn.  Yum.

By December, we were ready for snow.




It took a long time to get here.







and that's not even half of it.....

Happy New Year from all of us at Skoog Farm!

16 comments:

Dreaming said...

And it goes down as a good year, with hopes that 2013 will be even better!

Oak Creek Ranch said...

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful year from my beautiful friend. Happy New Year!

MTWaggin said...

That must make you smile. What a fun year (without the knee issue) and I have to say, looks like you'll be using those new shovels! Hoping your 2013 is less painful and more fun!

Mary said...

All wonderful photos. Where do i begin? You have a beautiful life and your posts make my day that much happier. :) I just want to hug all your animals. Dogs.. adorable. Horses.. magnificent.. kitties.. beautiful furry friends! I love my visits here!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Great recap :-)

Cloudia said...

Frankly I don't know how you do it all!


Aloha & Happy New Year wishes
from Honolulu,
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° >
> < } } ( ° >
> < 3 3 3 ( ' >

Terry said...

Beautiful photos, Lori! It was a fun recap.

Karen said...

Have a wonderful new year!

Thirteen Sheep (Or More) said...

It was fun going through your photos!

Jo said...

Lori, I consider myself part of your blogging family and read the whole post. AWESOME I remember most of the posts and the lovely warm feeling I always get when I visit your farm! I LOVED it all. HAPPY NEW YEAR to the all at Skoog Farm! (((Hugs))) Jo

ann @ studiohyde said...

What a great post. Lovely to see the ups and downs of your 2012. Here's to knees, arms and legs behaving themselves in 2013 :) (oh and must add)...one of the new followers you welcomed the other day...I took a look at The Three Muleteers, likewise followed and left a comment. Can you believe it turns out they know our daughter Lil!..can you believe it!!! Lil (may have mentioned before) has a pony called April and has started a blog herself on www.pinkhorsestudio.blogspot.co.uk
Here's wishing you all a great 2013.....ann.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Have a Happy New Year
Benny & Lily

Janice Grinyer said...

This means im a family member, yippee!

Like Jo said, our blogging family is certainly an important part of our lives; without the support I received, emotionally, physically, financially this year, i dont think i would be where i am today - living proof that blogger family helps keeps bitterness away... :)

and plus I just like looking at your photography - you are an artist in everything you do !

Strawberry Lane said...

Never a dull moment around Skoog Farm! Sweet photo of Coop on the horse. What a wonderful diary!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I made it through I feel like family now:) What a great year you had even with the bumps you made it look pretty picturesque. AWESOME way to remember. Happy New Year my friend or should I call you sis now?:) Hug B

fromsophiesview said...

What a beautiful compilation of photos~~~a year of family memories...they will love this!

Ron