Followers

Friday, April 22, 2011

SKYWATCH FRIDAY AND THE BIG FARM BLOG HOP

 One night last week.  Eeeeerrriieeee.



AND NOW FOR THE FARM (GIRL) FRIENDS ENTRY FOR THIS WEEK......


We live on a little over 5 acres in the Town of Sweden (how about that, for a couple of Swedes).
When we moved in, there were two big old barns....
 filled with old cars and junk.  No stalls and no fencing.
 Our house was built in 1853 (some say 1835).
I call the barn on the left (back view) my barn and the one on the right is Gary's.
 In 1992 (I was boarding horses then) we built a small indoor.
Currently there are only 4 horses here.
This is Masterpiece of '79.  He has a bum knee, but still has a lot of quality in his life.  Our first horse.
Both parents were Appys, but he did not get the coloring.

 This is Berlin.  She is a 3/4 Trakehner who will be 26 shortly.  I ride her the most.  Very sweet.

Glen Aberlour will be 12 this year.  She is a Pony of the Americas...very photogenic. 
 I wanted to start driving her, and after a lot of time spent working at it (line driving and driving with a trainer) just did not feel safe enough to do it on my own.  So, she is a riding horse.  I'm just too old to worry about what could happen.  The training was not wasted, and I still love to line drive her (too bad my knee is messed up) don't do it very often.
Next month a photographer is coming to do a photoshoot of her.  Guess she will need to have a real nice bath first.  My piggy.

 King Mustafa is a 17 hand Hanovarian and will be 24 this year.  He belongs to my friend Barb, who lives around the corner and helps me take care of all the horses.  She is one in a million and works her butt off.  I am so fortunate to have her here.

The rest of our animals are all rescues.
Bermuda is nearly 18 ...we got him at 6 months old (along with 3 adult cats).  He hates being in the house and has an entire heated basement where he can go in and out.  Really showing his age this year.

Barb found Seymour (the bigger kitten) in a field next to her house.  She placed his two siblings with another friend.  When I got him home, Bermuda wanted no part of him, so I got Sidney His Buddy.  At the time, Seymour was over 2 months old and Sid was nearly 7 weeks and tiny!

 The above photo does not even look real.  Sid was playing with a toy out in the feed room.



 All grown up now....

One more cat came into our lives a few months ago.  He was dirty and scrawny...in and out of our barns for weeks.
 Did we need one more cat?  He had a guardian angel and we kept him.  He had to have lived in a home before...very comfortable in the house.
His name is L'orange Marmalade.

We have two dogs.
When I saw this photo taken at a shelter in Kentucky (a friend who boarded a horse here had a dog rescue and the connection) I knew I wanted this puppy.   She was driven up here by 8 different people in one day and is more than I ever could have asked for.  Before she was a year old she passed beginner, intermediate and advanced obedience classes.   Before she was 2, received her Canine Good Citizen Certificate and passed the Therapy Dog test.  For three years she participated in a reading program at a local elementary school.  (She has been on vacation lately).
 Her name is Phoebe Bluegrass.
Our other dog has a story of her own.
 She was born in Tennessee and somehow was bred before she was a year old.  After 3 days of labor the people who owned her took her to the Vet where she had a section (lost the puppies).  They never picked her up.  She was sent up to a local dog shelter where a friend of mine worked and I took her the minute I saw her.  She still had her stitches and was a dirty mess.
She came with the name Gucci...but with the help of my blogger friends, her whole name is
Madamoiselle Gucci Poochie 'Lisbet Skoog.

 BFF.....
The end.

13 comments:

Larkrise garden girl said...

Wow what cute animals!

Patrice said...

LOve the horses, but I think it's really cool how you got your dogs!

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

lori, you gave me a much needed smile today with this post. i love your kind hearted ways and the fact that you didn't turn away la...orange cat...your horses are gorgeous and your sweet little doggies are so lucky. your farm is simply beautiful and i love a red house, so farmy!!! take care and have a wonderful weekend!

Sharon Creech said...

Beautiful to see them all together again.

Sally said...

...And they all lived happily ever after in the land of Skoog...

I like happy endings!

Cloudia said...

These beautiful creatures are all BLOOMING (Skooging?)
in the outpost of heaven
that YOU make on this Earth
out of the goodness
of
Y O U
!






Warm Aloha from Honolulu


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

A Baker's Dozen Barnhouse News said...

Oh my, what a lovely farm and animals you have. Your photographs are just beautiful. I especially like the ones of your Pony of the Americas and your little puppy. So cute! I saw your site on Deborah Jean's Dandelion House:) I've enjoyed visiting your blog!

Blessings,

Sherry

Nea said...

Got me smiling too. Beautiful pictures. You're an inspiration.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

What wonderful stories all your animals have! I didn't know the stories behind the horses or Sid & Seymore so I especially enjoyed reading about them. And your home - what history surrounds you!!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I like your moon shots. I've never been able to take decent photos of the moon.

I WONDER WHY

I wonder why
Some love the sky
But not the wind and rain.

I wonder, friend,
If sky will end—
It’s too much for my brain!


© by Magical Mystical Teacher

Tree Folk & Sky

Terry said...

What a great overview! It shows the big heart of Skoog Farm.

forgetmenot said...

Lori, Eerie, but beautiful moon. You've got lots of cute pets running around the farm. Your horses are beautiful. I ran out of gas the other day too (first time in 20 years)---what a pain!!!! Have a wonderful Easter weekend. Mickie :)

Sandra said...

I am finally up to speed now:)) I didn't know where the dogs came from or about the house! This post is just fantastic. You really have a big heart - thank you for opening it up for all these animals in need:)