Followers

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Small Town USA Does It Again....

Started the day off as usual.
 Took a quick shower after chores so I would have enough time to ride my trike into Brockport for the Morgan Manning 4th of July celebration.
You must know the way by now....
 I really hurried....
 as I
 wanted to get there
 in time

to hear my friend Judy
 sing in the Community Chorus.
Liz Banner (a music teacher at the Brockport Central School District) put out a call, inviting people to come and sing at this event.  50 participants made up the group and sounded great after only a few rehearsals.  All ages from our local schools to the retirees who sing with our chorus (Sweden Senior Singers).  Such a good idea.
 As I was sitting there on my trike, this woman (from Fairport) approached me.  She had a knee replacement and wondered how I liked it (trike).  I got off and let her give it a try...think she is going to buy one.  It sure has been perfect for me.
 Paul and Shelly were there with the kids (who are growing like weeds).
 The crowd was the largest ever.  We really lucked out with the weather, considering it was supposed to rain.
 Needless to say, there was a lot of schmoozing going on, as I wore my campaign shirt.
(All these pictures were taken with my friends).
Dianne and Jean.  You've also met them before.

 This event takes a lot of volunteers and you can count on them every year!
Thank you Mary Lynn and Josie.
 As I passed the woman on the right, stopped and asked if I could take her picture.  We started to talk and I realized that she was the sister of my friend Alicia.  Their Mom used to be in my art class.  Here she is with her daughter (visiting from St. Louis).
 We always have attended this event, but never before with these t-shirts on.
 Is this the cutest 4th of July girl you have ever seen?

 Time out for lunch.



 After they chorus  finished, it was time for the Community Band, directed by Shawn Halquist (also a music teacher).  He gathered up 75 people.  I loved it!  There were mothers and daughters, fathers and sons, the wife and children of the director, other music teachers, retired classroom teachers and more.  What a combo!  And they knew what they were doing.

Every year I post a photo of Bill Andrews, the Deputy Mayor of the Village.  He always dresses for the occasion.
 And then there was my artist friend Helen Smagorinsky....
 signing prints of her painting of the Morgan Manning House.
Business was booming.

Sara and her husband were there and Valerie must be visiting..
The last musical group to perform was the Brockport Big Band.
 You have seen and heard them before.  They just finished performing at the 
Rochester International Jazz Festival.




                                      





 Dr. Goetz was sporting a very appropriate bandage.
Jenny and Daniela ran down so they could participate in the Cake Walk.

You remember what that is, right?



Ariana and Coop made it for a few minutes.

So did Topper, Carol and many of our lake pals.
The Fenton's (Annie in the middle) are great community supporters.  They were working the popcorn machine and selling hot dogs today.


(Daniela tried, but no cake).
 Herb and Ron (the Master of Ceremonies).
This is Pam Ketchum.  She is a ginormous volunteer in our community, maintaining gardens in parks and at the Welcome Center while juggling a variety of other jobs and interests.  No rest for her!
Home before 3.  Gary put my trike in the back of his van so I did not have to ride up the hill.
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

 While Sidney was napping in the library
 I went out to do chores.



 Gary pulled more garlic today and has about 5 rows left.
Big and beautiful.



 It looks like we are having French toast for dinner.
Night all.

4 comments:

Nea said...

Happy Independence Day !
We had French toast for breakfast, but I don't know if it's the same... Ours is fried bread soaked in egg and milk, what's yours?

ann @ studiohyde said...

Looks like you had a great day...I especially liked the jazz videos :-)

thecrazysheeplady said...

Awesome as always :-D

Sharon Creech said...

Wow, such energy and lushness all around. Thanks for the visit to your 4th celebration! xx