Followers

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

What's Behind the Fence?

I'm happy to say we have had more rain and I will have to mow tomorrow.
The grass is getting greener and greener.





 Thanks to Carina Sawyer, we are going to have 
our first moon flowers in the next few days.





 I went to Wegmans this afternoon and since Gary had a dinner meeting 
tonight, I picked up some sesame chicken for me.
My plan was to plop it on top of some stir fried veggies, so I looked
around to see what was available.
Onions...
 cabbage, peppers
 carrots and snow peas.
 Made a sweet and sour sauce and added the sesame chicken.
 Of course I had it with a side of my usual... bananas.
 A friend posted a beautiful photo of pickled red onions so I decided to
make a jar full.  These onions were from our garden and were not all that red.
 Gary has now finished pulling out the day lilies around the trees in our front yard.
I asked him to leave the hostas and they will be manageable.







 A little before 7 I arrived at the Farmer's Museum for a presentation by Caleb Ayers.

 For the past couple of years a lot of activity has taken place on the East side of our town.  Almost a mile and a half of fencing went up and many people were curious.
 When I got there, I knew the turnout was good as there were an awful lot of cars parked all over the place.
 The presentation was held in the barn part of the Museum.


 We were welcomed by the Town Historian, Kathy Goetz, who introduced us to
Caleb Ayers (Senior Production Supervisor at Duncan Family Farms).




 He gave us a lot of information and answered over 20 questions.
They are currently working around 200 acres and grow greens such as Baby Spinach, Baby Arugula, Spring Mix and more.  They sell field-packed organic produce for retail grocers.  Wegmans is one of their customers.
More and more people are going organic and I am all for it.


 Lemonade, water and cookies were available...
Perfect for the barn setting.


 Al and Brenda were there along with many of our other friends.

 Kudos to the Museum Committee for doing such an outstanding job,
bringing this very interesting presentation to our community.
Christine Hunt, Donny Grentzinger, Kathy Goetz, Marian Dilger and Susan Smith.
Next on their agenda is the Harvest Festival to be held on September 15th.

After that I made a quick stop at Pints & Politics and did not get one good photo.
Instead, I got caught in a monsoon when it was time to leave.
Night all.


1 comment:

Val Ewing said...

I must say I do love Zinnias! Mine have been attracting butterflies and hummingbirds like crazy!