Followers

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Rebel

I lost Abbe, can't ride Berlin, have a beautiful barn, rings and tack and just could not imagine never riding again (and I am no spring chicken). When I connected with a friend who had lost her Morgan, she told me about a horse that she leased from Forrestel Farm in Medina.





It is an 800 acre, gorgeous facility that has 60 horses who are used for lessons during the summer by the kids who are attending camp.  After the last session, most of the horses are placed in homes from August 15 until the end of May.  I had a very short window of time to see if I could free lease one of them.  When I spoke to the program director and told her about myself and what I was looking for, she told me about a horse that she thought was going back to where he was last year and it didn't work out.  So, today I drove out there to meet him.  In my mind, I was thinking that I would be able to tell if it would be a good match.  Maybe it would work, maybe not.  Within a minute I knew that he was a very special boy.
So here he is....
Rebel.
A 17 year old 15 hand chestnut quarter horse, who has done it all.
Quiet, sweet and a tank.
One of the instructors rode him and then I got on for a few minutes.
(I am definately not in the same league as the Instructor)
Rebel took good care of me and was very comfortable.
It will take some time for us to get used to each other but I think we will be just fine...and I hope my Albion dressage saddle will fit him.



Tomorrow my friend Mary H. (who told me about this) will drive me out to Forrestel to pick him up.  Hopefully all will go well and then I will take some time to introduce him to the girls.  I sure hope they can be together eventually.

And so a new chapter begins.
Night all.


7 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Rebel looks like a good boy. Very sweet face and nice movement. I’m sure the girls will accept him after time getting to know him. Hope all goes well tomorrow and your saddle fits him. This is very exciting!

Nancy J said...

Turn over a page in the book of your life and it reads " Rebel". He looks wonderful ( in my eyes as I know nothing about horses)!!! Fill the gap and he will learn to love you.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

How kind of you to open your heart and barn to the most handsome Rebel. I hope he likes your girls, and you all get along wonderfully while he stays with you. I have a feeling he will!

thecrazysheeplady said...

He's cute! Hope being surrounded by mares doesn't go to his head :-o.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

I haven’t been on Blogger in ages but had to see if you had written more about Rebel. So happy to read his story. He sounds perfect — in the same way that Pistol is perfect for Brett. And, they are both QH same size. The first thing I noticed about Rebel was his color, given how partial I am to chestnuts. Congratulations! Happy trails!

C-ingspots said...

Super happy to hear about Rebel! An awesome home for an awesome horse - perfect! But...I am so sorry to hear of your loss of Abbie. Oh my gosh, such a tragedy. She was my favorite and I just seem to have a soft spot for older, grey Appaloosa mares. Her face and her expression were so lovely. So sorry...

Val Ewing said...

Oh I am so excited to hear about this new adventure! I had a horse just like him many years ago! Happy Face, I'm doing the Happy Dance for you!