Saturday, March 11, 2017

No Power No Fun!

Needless to say, I was in cardiac arrest not being able to post in my Journal.
March 7th was the first time and it drove me nuts.  I had my phone and iPad with me at the hospital and they locked it in security and would not get it for me since my surgery was at 6:30.  Such a pain.  On top of that, they had my glasses and that also ticked me off. 
 There is no such thing as sleeping there...as they are constantly doing something to your body!
I will admit, that I had a beautiful private room complete with a leather couch and chair, paintings etc.  It was located in the Wilmot section of the hospital.

 Anyway, on the 8th I was able to go home around 2. 
Some bad weather was on the way and the high winds had started while we were driving home.  We were held up in traffic for a short time, as this semi was blown over on the expressway.
 Eventually the wind speed reached 84 mph.
When we got home there was NO POWER!
The afternoon light was beautiful and from then on it was darkness.
 We had a fire going in the kitchen as the temperature was dropping.
 I dug out as many candles as I could find and we vegged.
 Needless to say, I was not feeling all that great.

 This is what it looked like when I went out to the barn on Thursday morning.
The neighbor's tree smashed down the pasture fence
 and the roof on Gary's barn was a mess.  There were shingles all over the place from both barns.

 About a mile down the road, 7 telephone poles had been snapped off on the Sweeting property, leaving this neck of the woods in the dark.

 The girls had to wear their heavy Rambos as the temperature on Thursday night was supposed to be -10 with the windchill.

 There were over 2000 men working on the electric lines in this part of Western New York.  So many huge trees were uprooted and plowed into houses and streets.  The traffic lights were not working and that caused more trouble.
 Friday morning remembered that I had to have blood work done and made myself go down to the lab at Unity.
 From there I went to Jenny's to take advantage of her fireplace and a hot shower. 
 Even took a nap.
 By the time I got home, both stoves were cranking as it kept getting colder and we did not want our pipes to freeze.
The kitchen looked like a disaster area with all of our pillows, blankets, candles etc.
I must say that Gary has outdone himself keeping us in water.  He must have brought home at least 200 gallons of water in buckets and gallon jugs to keep our animals (and toilets) going.  He had to drive to the Highway Department as their generator kept the water flowing.
 Friday night was the art opening at A Different Path Gallery and several of my students were accepted in this juried show, so I decided to go down there for a little while.  By then it was snowing.  Just as I was getting dressed by flashlight!  
Bam!  The power came on!!!!!  Just in the nick of time.

Brenda Cretney's painting (featured on the poster) took Best in Show.
Here are a few examples......

 Karen and Jan showed up....
 then Jenny and company arrived after going to Grampa Sam's for dinner.
 I can't tell you how much I appreciate having them all take an interest in this opening.
We are so lucky to have a gallery of this quality in Brockport, along with people from the community who turn out for these events.  Kathy and her husband (owners) have really developed this space.
(By the way, many of the people in these photographs were my students 
when they were in High School and they keep calling me Mrs. Skoog).
 Last night (Friday)  it was snowing and blowing.
By morning the birds were hungry and chowing down in the back yard.
 We had whiteouts off and on today so I put the girls in the barn a little before 3.
Gary took out hot water and filled their buckets.
Now, it's going to be more of this and we won't need anymore candles.

 This is what it looks like right now.

Night all.
You can't imagine how my attitude improved today around 3pm when our
phones/tv/internet started working!


  1. So glad you are home and power on, which restores all other VIA ( Very Important appliances) to be in use again. All the animals would be wondering what was happening, it looks like a massive storm went through. Beautiful painting by Brenda. XXX from a wet NZ.

  2. Well, you've certainly had a rough time. Glad you came through it alright. Love the Gallery pictures,they're all great. I think you need to take a rest by the fire.

  3. Why were you in hospital? What did I miss? Time to back track!!! We had high winds - th shingles are all off of our roof. Holly (Full of Beans)

  4. Crazy! Just absolutely crazy!! Glad you are home and hope the power is back on soon.

  5. I'm glad your power is back on and "regular programming" can resume!

    Thanks for sharing some examples from the show - What amazing, gifted and talented artists!!

    Take care of yourself!

  6. So sorry you were ill and then to come home to all that storm damage must have been awful. Hope everything returns to normal very soon. I missed your lovely photos and posts.

  7. I am so glad you are doing better. What a scare! And yes, being dependent on electricity and having it knocked out is beyond a pain. I live in the county and can relate. If my power goes out, no toilets, no water, nothing. So I'm always prepared with water in a big camping cooler just in case. Welcome back - you've been missed.

  8. Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your comments and support. I do believe I am turning the corner and am so happy to have electricity!

  9. I'm glad you are back and on line and with power too. The longest we went without power was 5 days. If you have well water then make sure that your pipes are flushed and the water is good.
    Sorry to hear you were in the hospital! Yikes, first I saw that post and then poof you were gone.
    Made me a bit worried.


Thank you for reading The Skoog Farm Journal. I do not have google+ and am unable to comment on those blogs. Would love to reach some of you and need email addresses. Your comments are appreciated.