Followers

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

SIMPLY MAVAHHHLUSSSSS!

From morning 'til night, this was one beautiful day.























It was about 43 degrees when the crew and I got out to the barn.




















It was brilliant!



















When Gary got back from coffee, he started getting the garlic ready for planting.


















All of these beautiful cloves are separated from the bulbs...step one.


















This is German White garlic and it was a very good year.  Huge heads.



















Once he gets that done, he takes it over to the South side of the indoor, where he had the ground prepared a few days ago.  Yesterday he planted almost 700 cloves and today about the same.















I believe he has enough for 3000 plants.  The side of the indoor has turned into a great place, as water comes off the roof and keeps the plants moist...they are also protected and have the southern exposure.
Minor detail....the horse manure has made the ground superb!  By the way (in case you are interested, you plant garlic in October and harvest in July).




















It was a perfect day to pick up a load of sawdust...so Gar hooked up our little trailer and off I went.  Much to my surprise, a green truck pulled in after I got to Shepherd's Mill and there was Barb!  She had taken the day off...little did I know.  So we got two loads!


















I drove down Glidden Road on the way home so I could feel the canape of yellow leaves.

























Gar, Barb and I unloaded the sawdust in short order.  The stalls looked like a beach.














I took a two minute shower and it was time for class...it's Tuesday, remember?

Busy....busy.



Priscilla and Pauline are still working on their first drawing projects.

Dick is making great progress with his painting.

Tina did a piece (Bandit) for Wanda's Art Blog.

Looking out my East window.


Donna had her paper folding project framed.  It looks fab.

Pauline brought a guest (visiting from Florida) so we got her into the act too.

I'm really liking the raised white edges on the petals.

Mel has only been back three weeks, but he is in high gear.                         
Around 5:30 I went out to soak Pony's hay cubes, but Barb was way ahead of me.

Her night to do chores.  Pony was ready for dinner.

So were Masterpiece and King Mustafa.


















The sky was just as dramatic as it was this morning.
Gary had a meeting tonight and I did not have to make dinner...so Sidney and I went into the library to post my Journal entry for today.                                                           
Before 7, the sun was almost down. 

I started a fire in the kitchen, and that's where I'm headed.

Night all!

9 comments:

Terry said...

Glidden Road is gorgeous!
Looks like you had a good turnout for art class.

Michelle said...

I've not planted garlic before, but would like to. You have some really talented people in that art group. Nice work.

mj said...

Garlic looks so good!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What a beautiful and full day!! THANKS for sharing it with us and the amazing talent of your art class too!! I hope you're getting a chance to relax this evening!!

Adirondackcountrygal said...

I am going to try garlic for the first time. The only spot I have without digging a new bed is east side of my house partial sun. Good or bad?

Jeni said...

wow look at that roadway !! Love the colours.

These days are wonderful I don't want them to end, but I would like them a tad longer!

sandy said...

Wow, loved seeing all the art work...I am so behind at all the blogs I visit. I'll be back to go through yours more slowly and savor these beautiful photos.

Sharon Creech said...

Amazing! All of it. . . what a treat to see.

Gayle said...

I'd like to try garlic this year as well, but it is entirely too late to plant now. Do you think it would even survive -40 temps? I'm going to try planting in May and see what happens. Any suggestions welcomed.

I was also going to ask about the garden you planted grass in. Is that the one you grew all the spinach, etc. in? Are you not having a garden next year or do you have a different spot for one? Just curious. You grow so many nice things to eat.