Followers

Thursday, October 14, 2010

A GOOD DAY TO SIT IN FRONT OF THE FIRE...



Just before 7, the sky was making quite a statement.

















Was it a preview of what was to come?



































And I thought it was going to be a sunny day!

















It turned grey and was spitting off and on all day.  Oh well.  I finished chores and went down to Tractor Supply to get some grass seed.  This will be a perfect time to plant it.

Gary went to Alfred to meet his football coach from high school.  For the past several years they have set up a lunch date.  I decided to build a fire a do some cooking...as in squash soup.  First I googled for a recipe...and then did a combination of several.



















I sauteed some onions, leeks and a clove of garlic.

















Added the cubed squash and two apples that I diced.  Let them get a little soft, then added 4 cups of chicken stock.  Put in a shot of oj, pepper, salt, cinnamon, and two tablespoons of maple syrup.















When everything was nice and soft, I put it in the food processor.














Dumped it back in the pot and added some half and half.

















I'm letting it cool and we will have it on another day...let it pick up lots of flavor.

After dinner I went out to do evening chores.  Before you know it, it will be dark by 6 o'clock.
All I had to do was set up the grain, as everything else was done.  Below are the beet pulp pellets the horses get am and pm with their grain.  I soak a heaping cup and they really fluff up.

















Pony gets soaked hay cubes every night, as she (30 years old) can't chew hay very well.  It must be working, as she still looks great.  She is in the photo below (Welcome Follower) that was taken last June.
















I love the way it feels in the horse barn (over 100 years old) when the lights are on and it's dark outside.


















Look who's keeping me company tonight.  Seymour and Sidney stick pretty close when I am posting my Journal.













I'm going to sign off with a quote I stole from someones blog today...

"Learn to pause or nothing worthwhile will catch up to you."  Doug King

Night all!

4 comments:

Verde Farm said...

Seems like your day turned out pretty sunny after all. That soup sounds wonderful and I bet your house smelled divine. Cozy indeed :)
Amy

Terry said...

Yum!
Looks like Sidney and Seymour are getting to be more equal in size.

Jill said...

Love the quote!

Gayle said...

The soup looks good. I think I may have to make some bean and ham for this chilly day we are having.