Followers

Saturday, October 23, 2010

BACK TO NORMAL....YEY!


















Not quite so cold this morning...in the mid 40s by the time I got out to the barn.  Being Saturday, Barb was already done with graining (she got here earlier than normal).





















We were finished before 9.  Barb was headed over to Huntington Meadows and I had to pick up grain at Country Max.  Today...buy 3 bags of Safe Choice and get 1 free.  Fine with me.


















Took a shower and headed down to the college for some open drumming.  I also had to pick up the bag I ordered for my drum.

We meet in Hartwell Hall.  This was the original building that housed the Normal School 175 years ago.  All the windows have been replaced and they put on a new roof.  The architecture is beautiful...this is the back view.
















Inside is the Dance Department...studios, offices, work out rooms, a dance theatre, costume department and much more.













SUNY Brockport has one of the top Dance Departments in the country.





















The building is bright and well kept.

















The main lobby has rich woodwork.  Below is the entrance to the Dance Theatre.














Below is the Rose Strasser Dance Studio.  It is where the open drumming is held ... an amazing space.


















Last week (my first serious participation) was not easy...but today made that look like a walk in the park by comparison.  I feel like I have a good sense of rhythm but believe me...that does not mean you can do this easily.  It's difficult to relax and trying too hard makes me stiff.  It's also quite intimidating to be there amongst people who are part of the drumming ensemble (Sankofa).  Felt like a kindergartner.  The good news...they are very supportive, and Khalid slows things down for me.  When I lose it, I just am quiet until I can get back in the groove.  Pretty obvious when you are off.

















After Khalid taught us 2 or 3 rhythms, we would do them and he would add the bass drums below.  A pretty amazing sound coming from this Master.

















I survived until 3 and then had to leave for the Welcome Center to do a photo shoot.  The local parks committee was being assisted by a large group of college students in planting daffodils in front of the Center.  They had already done a lot of work in other parks.  This was their last stop.






















Many were willing to get into it, while others just chatted.  A great service to our community.


















I mowed the lawn today...it looked like a plush green carpet.  A nice way to get rid of the leaves without raking.  Mulch...mulch....


















Gar still didn't feel that great...

A little before 6 it started to rain and I put the ponies in for the night.






















We had been invited to dinner at the Cooks...Gary stayed home and I went on my own.

Started off with a seafood mousse that was out of this world.
















As an aside...horse buddies, check out the earrings Sara was wearing.  They were made using horse shoe nails.
















Seeing that Gary couldn't make it, my friend Madonna filled in.  I think she enjoyed getting out with a group of people.


















Sara (who knows, maybe Jim) sets a great table...and we had everything that I love for dinner.

















Country ribs in a perfect BBQ sauce served with a side of noodles...we put some of the juice on top.
And the salad!  One of the best I have ever had.  Spinach, dried cranberries, apples, toasted walnuts, blue cheese and a fab dressing.
















Good stories from Roger and Tina....
















Flowers all over the house....

















 


















And apple crisp for dessert.  The whole meal was a big yum!  Too bad Gary missed it.
























Home by 9:30 and blogging ever since.
Night all.

2 comments:

Verde Farm said...

Lori, good heavens, I'm tired. How do you do all that in one day. You are a go getter :) Good for you. Love the drumming thing--that is just a cool, unexpected outlet. How wonderful for you :)
I'm also hungry now. LOL
Amy

Gayle said...

Sorry to hear Gary is under the weather and missed such a great dinner.