Followers

Sunday, September 12, 2010

BACK IN THE SADDLE...



















This morning I went up to the 2nd floor of the barn and swept out some of the 2nd cutting that was scattered all over the floor from yesterdays delivery.




















I figured the ponies would appreciate it.

















You'd think they would eat it all up, but they didn't.


















Phoebe and Gucci were out there keeping them company for awhile.


















Pony worked her way back down to the barn and was begging for treats from the feed room.  Barb helped me again...above and beyond the call of duty.


















After I took a quick shower we went down to the village.  Gary hit Java and I went straight to the market.

















Margay, Hanny and Anita were the first three people I saw.


















Ulpie was there too.


















You can see the Welcome Center from the Market, as both are right next to the canal.



















Today we bought Crispin Apples, green beans, donuts and a bushel of corn.
When we got home I started blanching the beans...which we cooled and froze in baggies.

















Gary shucked the corn and we started blanching it.


















We had two pots going and were finished in no time.

















I left to take pictures at Cooper's birthday party and Gary finished up the corn.  Our freezer is getting full.


















On the way to Jenny's, who did I run into walking Buster?  Her mother-in-law Pat, who drove up to celebrate with the Coop.  She lives about a hundred miles from here, but does not hesitate to visit often...and the boys love it.
















Cooper did not want a regular birthday cake...says he doesn't like frosting.

















So this is what he got.


















I was happy to see that he was wearing the outfit we got him for his birthday when we celebrated on the actual date.  Everything fit...including his sneakers.























He was a very happy 5 year old...loves kindergarten, and his little pals were extremely well mannered.


















Brothers!  What a connection.





































After everyone sang happy birthday, for some reason Coop yelled out "applesauce."  I don't get it.

From there I went to the Welcome Center (where Gary was on duty) to drop off some pizza, wings, celery, carrots, blue cheese, part of the cookie cake, and some snickers bars (the little kind).  He was appreciative.  No cooking supper tonight.

















I drove past the new gallery, A Different Path.  They are making some real progress restoring the front of their building.  On the home stretch.


















By the time I got home, there was a message waiting from Barb saying that she was riding at 3:30.  I had just enough time to change my clothes and grab a couple of carrots.
















This sweet horse is Berlin.  She's almost 26...was born here...a 3/4 Trakehner that is barely 15 hands...long backed and a real chubbo!  What a special girl.  When I yell to her in the pasture, I say "Berlin, do you want to go for a ride?"  And she canters to me...gives me a little baloney and then we go into the grooming room.  I spent a lot of time taking dressage lessons with her mother and Target...figured I should be able to apply what I learned to her.  I probably have not had a lesson in over 10 years...we both are strictly into pleasure riding.  I can ride her with a bit, a hackamore or a bitless bridle (never use a bit anymore), and no matter how long it has been since we last worked, I can get on her at the buckle and she is a doll.



































While I was closing some gates, she just stood there and waited for me today (not a very glam shot).  She is so calm, and really listens.  We are not into hard work or the perfect frame...it just ain't gonna happen.  Can go on a trail ride with strangers and have a great time, although we have not been anywhere since I had to sell my trailer last summer.  I really miss that.  Even tho I am Miss Back Yard, I have managed to grow horses that don't need lounging and can go months without being ridden and behave themselves when I finally get around to it.  Of course they are all spoiled rotten and have a pretty good life here.















When we finished, Barb gave King Mustafa his banana (see the peel in her hands).  I don't know another horse who loves bananas.  Do you?















Tonight after chores Sidney and Seymour followed me to the house when I called them.  It beats carrying them in a basket.























They do know how to be naughty sometimes...but they sure are cute.  Right now they are both sleeping at my feet on a bed with Phoebe.


















The weather was borderline rainy looking all day, but by tonight we had a visit from the sun.


















Now that the weather is cooler, I sure hope I can get into the riding habit.
Night all.

7 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Sounds like you had a great time...being back in the saddle is good for the soul.

Wanda said...

Another wonderful array of pictures. I have used your cat photo for the new Art Challenge, and linked you for the other artists to come by and meet you. You can check out the art challenge on my Art Blog.

ChrisJ said...

What a lot of interesting and colorful photos. I certainly enjoyed my visit. So many people seem to do fun things on the spur of the moment. We are far too suburban and regulated. Came to you via Wanda's art challenge. I just have to finish the one I'm in the midst of right now for Virtualpaintout, then I'll start on one of yours. Love that black and white cat -- but I do like dogs too.

elvira pajarola said...

...SSSiiiii, cara Lori...my Arabian girl Sheylah LOVES BANANAS!!!!!!!

...guess these two sweet horses have got a little "exotic-bloodlines",......how was the RIDE?????????? BRAVISSIMA!!!!
ciao ciao elvira

Sandra said...

Berlin has the soft eye of a gracious horse. She looks great for a 26 yr. old. I hope to ride a littel as well, but it usually stays hope and not doing.

Gayle said...

What a pleasure to be able to ride. You are so fortunate.

Jill said...

Berlin is such a doll! She reminds me of my Danza. I hope you do get many more chances to ride and it is nice to have Barb to help "spur" you on.