Followers

Saturday, July 3, 2010

LIGHT AND DAY ....

Tonight I am a little bass ackwards. Just went out to put the ponies in and got these shots after I did my posting. Great sky this evening.



















This morning the sun was coming into the kitchen...by the time I grabbed my camera (10 seconds) it had changed.
Barb and Gary helped me with chores. The temperature was still pretty decent.


Mustafa took a peek into Berlin's stall while waiting to have his grain delivered.

When I finished everything that had to be done, I put the dogs in the car and we headed over to County Line Road to check out some hay.
It was green, dry and smelled good, so I committed to 250 bales to be delivered in a few days. I'll need that many more, but will wait for some second cutting.

On the way home I drove past the White Farm B & B. Didn't see Christine around so I just grabbed a couple of photos.
People love to stay here. Country charm and furnished with amazing antiques.

When I got home, mowed 3 of the four pastures. At least things are starting to slow down.

Even tho it was in the mid 80s, the humidity was not killing me. The horses were having a rolling party.
First KM....
Then Abbe thought she could do it better!





I went in the house...took a shower and crashed for awhile. It felt good.

Tried to get Pony to hang out by the fan while the rest of the horses were in the pasture, but she said no.

Barb did chores tonight and called to tell me that the barn swallow (babies) had moved from their next over to a board near one of the stalls. They must have had flying lessons today.

The late afternoon light was more beautiful than it was this morning.
The garden near the windmill is now garlic (less) and Gary planted a new row of spinach for me today. We still have to thin out the carrots and weed around the leeks. Our tomato plants are looking great.

The pups were in and out of the back yard all day...but the house was the coolest place to be. Tomorrow it may hit the low 90s and Gary has to work the 4th of July celebration (all day) at the Morgan Manning House. Every year there is a big celebration there with bands, food and a cake walk. Very traditional and super well attended. A photoshoot in the making.


Speaking of making...here is an easy and very tasty recipe for coleslaw. Today I used a little savoy cabbage and a little red...grated a carrot...cut up one apple...added a few red grapes. Then I poured on some vinegar (your choice...I used rice), a little sugar, some celery salt and pepper. Tossed it and added a little mayo. You don't need much...add a little at a time until it gets to where you want it. It is even better with pineapple and red peppers in the mix. Try it and let me know what you think.
Tonight we had a boneless piece of pork with carmelized onions and brown rice.
There was still more gorgeous light around 6pm.


That should do it for today. Hope everyone is having a good time in Virginia and that we don't all melt tomorrow.

Night all.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Awww, I love the barn swallows! And I've never seen a horse roll around on the ground before. Guess you can tell I'm a city slicker. Thanks for introducing me to Eva Cassidy! I mentioned your blog in my blog post on Friday. Hope that's okay. Happy Fourth of July!

Gayle said...

Nice that you will have hot temps for the 4th. We've had big thunder storms all night...not sure what the forecast is, but I hope it is better than this. Enjoy your day tomorrow.