Followers

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

SANKOFA

SUNY Brockport has one of the best dance departments in the country. Tonight, Sankofa (an African Dance and Drum Ensemble) was performing and I went to the dress rehearsal, where I was allowed to take photographs (325). It was a celebration of Afro/Caribbean/Brazilian culture.

No flashes are allowed, and I have not done this before. Below are a few of the photographs that can be shared. There are many more action shots that I will get together for tomorrow.



You do not need to be a dance major to participate in Sankofa and there have been years when the age range has gone well beyond the norm. Clyde is like the Pied Piper! There must be around 40 or 50 participants, more counting the drummers.





Above, is Khalid Abdul N'Faly Saleem, the musical director. He is not only a great drummer, he has a superb teaching style. On Saturdays, the public is invited to participate in drumming sessions and I have participated many times. Once there were over 40 of us in the room, and you could feel the sound deep within your body...quite an experience. During Dance Awareness Week (every February) you can participate in the dance classes...I used to drag my girls to African Dance.
Below is Clyde Alafiju Morgan...he is the artistic director. You have met him many times at the First Fridays Gary holds each month at the Alumni House. I taught a couple of his children when I was at the High School and am a real fan of his program.
Below are the choreographers and guest artists.

Please turn off my music and listen to the videos below.

The first is a clip of the drumming. The second shows dancing. Check them out!

1 comment:

Jo said...

Excellent photos, Lori.