Followers

Friday, January 15, 2010

A SUNLESS DAY....

Check it out! This is the first morning that Dream finished all of her grain.

A real blah day. It melted all night long and left a layer of ice in the paddock.

So I put hay in a pasture where it was still covered with snow.

Look at the feet on these dogs...a sign of the temperature and a dirty kitchen floor.

After chores I made a quick trip to Wegmans....

We needed things like almonds, milk, oj.... I ALWAYS buy more than I went for.

After lunch I plunked myself down in the rocking chair by the fire and watched a movie... "Evening" with Vanessa Redgrave.

Out for evening chores at 5.

Here are a few more interior shots of our horse barn.

Very primitive....but cozy and functional. Can you see the bark on those old beams?

The gate to Pony's stall was chewed by a boarder over 20 years ago...notice that they can all hang their heads out. Very open.


When I was at Wegmans, the chef was making Minestrone Soup and it looked so good I decided to make some for dinner. Here's my version after looking at several different recipes.

First I fried two pieces of bacon in a big pot. When they were crispy I put them aside and added a splash of olive oil. Added 1 large diced onion and celery with the green leaves (4 or 5 stalks).
Cooked til translucent and threw in 2 sliced carrots and a cup of thinly sliced cabbage. Added a full container of beef stock and 1 large can of chopped tomatoes plus about 1/2 cup of red wine. Brought to a boil and then simmered until the carrots were getting soft. Added a can of dark kidney beans.

Then, I threw in a bag of spinach and the two pieces of bacon (chopped). I had some small shells and prepared them separately...before they were done, drained and added them to the soup.

Topped it with cheese and served with crusty bread.

At 6:30 we drove out to Kendall for another Chorus Concert.

Home by 9 and ready to hit the couch. Night all.

8 comments:

Achieve1dream said...

Once again I love your barn! I didn't realize how low the ceiling was. Do they ever hit their heads?

I wish I liked to cook. I'd probably try that recipe. Maybe I'll drag my sorry carcass in the kitchen and try it anyway LOL!

Anonymous said...

Dream is a careful horse - very sensible - she knows she's in a good place now and can relax a bit.

RoeH said...

It's 5:30 in the morning here and I'm freezing and that soup is lookin' pretty darn good! I may stock up and make some. We're suppose to get a whoop-de-doo rainstorm in the next few days. But knowing Arizona, I'll believe it when I see it. :)

Gail said...

I have barn envy! This is gorgeous!

The soup isn't looking too bad either, the perfect thing for a cold day.

B : ) said...

Still packing my bags, but I'll be there soon : ) Driving my 9 year old PT Cruiser too.

Anonymous said...

I like how you are featuring horses and food on your blog! Two of my favorite things. Weather is warmer in CO last few days...should be coming your way eventually.

Victoria Cummings said...

I love old barns - especially ones that allow the horses to see each other and not feel like they're in jail. There's a window between Silk and Siete's stall so they can stick their noses in each other's "rooms" at night. That's how they like to stand, nose to nose, relaxing. It's so sweet. Hope you get some sun today!

Gayle said...

I wonder if I would get claustrophobic in the barn? Soup looks good...not one I would have thought to make, but I bet I'd eat it!