Followers

Thursday, October 15, 2009

#2024 - WAY BELOW NORMAL....

According to the weatherman, we are over 20 degrees below normal for this time of the year. It was around 30 when I went out to do chores this morning and the high may have been 38. With the strong winds, it was darn cold.


Cleaned the stalls....traded the horses sheets for something a little heavier.

These blankets must be 20 years old. They are not waterproof so I put their sheets on top if it rains. A closed front fits so much better.

Talk about grey.....

Here is Winnie's stall. As we have lost horses, I knock down walls. She has a suite! It is around 12 x 28. Not fancy but because it is a basement barn, it is pretty cozy in the winter and cooler in the summer.

This is the first time the girls wore their coats.

Tractor Supply is having a huge sale on grain, hay cubes and bedding. I filled up my car today.

Once again, sheets and blankets are being moved into the horse barn.

Tonight it was still dark and ugly outside.

I think my brain needs some light.



Meanwhile, back at the ranch.... I made a great dinner tonight.
































































































The menu....brown rice topped with stir fried chicken and veggies.


















First I sauted some onions...

Then I added the raw rice and mixed the two together.

Threw in a little chicken boullion....

Added boiling water....covered and simmered until the water was absorbed.



In the meantime, I sliced up two chicken breasts and marinated them in soy sauce with a little Italian Dressing. Chopped up onions, carrots and red peppers. Washed off some snap peas and had everything ready to get started.

I stir fry over two burners with this large non stick pan.

First, the chicken...on a little olive oil. Dumped in the marinade too. A medium high flame, to start.

Added the onions and stirred...
Threw in the carrots, as they take a little longer.

And the snap peas....

Finally the red peppers.

Stirred, lowered the heat and covered. This whole process takes under 15 or 20 minutes.

Served it on the rice... added pineapple rings on the side. For some reason I like fruit with it...frequently just slice bananas.

Phoebe and Gucci had a little rice, chicken and carrots on their dry food. They loved it too.


I'm taking the rest of the evening off. Listening to the Latin Music at the White House on PBS.
Night all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We could use more light too - it's been very dark the past couple of days. Love stir-fry in all its permutations!

Gayle said...

You and I have the same temps, but you are below normal and we are above. I was thankful for a second chance to finish my work, but then I got sick and now it's not getting above freezing (on my side of the hill) to get it done. :( The girls are cute in their coats. My dogs would love your pampering. Great looking stir fry. I may just try to make that for my husband when I'm up to cooking again (stomach still icky). Hope you get some sunshine soon.

diane b said...

I must remember when it gets unbearably hot here I will read your posts to cool me down. I was almost shivering when I read this.