Followers

Sunday, October 4, 2009

#2004 I'M READY TO SAY "UNCLE"...

This is what it looked like when chores were all done tonight.

But this is how my morning started.

Coolish, a little grey....quiet.

Fed the horses under the shed roof because rain seemed to be on the way.

Mushrooms are sprouting all over the place (not in the paddocks or pastures tho).

Jen called and said it was Finn's last flag football game. Gar went down...I took a shower and followed.

Of course it had to rain and get cold. Finn seemed very comfortable out there doing his thing and has grown up so much.

Cooper sat in a chair covered with blankets.

Nana Pat (Kevin's Mom) came up from Fredonia to watch Finn play. She has a fabulous camera and took tons of pictures. She and Jenny were pretty cold by the time it was over.

From there, I went to the Farm Market.

More rain....

So many deals on fresh fruit and veggies!

I headed back to my car...see it?

Gucci and Phoebe were waiting for me.

I noticed that the Main Street bridge was going up, so I drove down by the Welcome Center to see what kind of boat was coming through.

It was a beauty....



It was being piloted by a woman my age...no other person was visible. As I drove off, she was parking...

All I bought today at the Market was red peppers and tomatoes.




Late afternoon Darrin came up to help me hook Abbe. THIS IS WHERE I AM READY TO SAY "UNCLE." I brought her into the arena and started line driving. She was soft and better than ever. After 10 or 15 minutes we decided to hook her, when Jenny arrived. It did not seem to bother Abbe that she was outside the arena. I did not get in the cart, just wanted to drive her from the ground. It was not a smooth start and it got worse and worse. I was not doing a good job of gauging the amount of space I needed for the cart and had difficulty turning her (I did not have enough on my outside rein to keep her straight). Then it happened. The wheel hit the wall and she took off. All I could think of was her tipping the cart over and getting hurt. Fortunately she stopped and I could get the reins back in order. I led her a few steps and tried driving her again. It was touch and go, but I was determined to have her go at least half way around the ring correctly before I would quit. She did...and I did. We unhooked her and I line drove her again.
She went back to being perfect! So what's the PROBLEM???? Here it is. The driving experiences I had before Abbe were with schoolmaster type horses...they were well made and it was nothing but great. Did a clinic, went in a show, drove around here..... But here's the real deal (as Darrin put it) green horse and green driver make black and blue. I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH EXPERIENCE DRIVING THIS BEAUTIFUL GREEN PONY to be able to do this without a lot of guidance. I am way to old to get hurt and know I can't work her 3 or 4 times every week to get through this. Too much pressure! You can't imagine what I have invested in this experience...time, money, equipment, lessons....blah, blah, blah. Why can't I just be satisfied to ride her? I would never give her up. Am I trying to see how high I can make her jump? She is great with Andrea because she knows what she is doing...but let's face it...I am not a professional trainer...I am Miss Back Yard. There's something to be said for putting on miles of driving to gain confidence...I don't have those miles. I have learned a lot...about lounging and line driving and Abbe has also learned plenty. But what am I to do? Andrea said she wants to come here sometime and drive her to see what the story is. After she does that, I will make my decision. What would you do???? I could just sell my cart and harness....that would be easy.

So onward and upward. I went in to check my email and had tons of comments regarding my Sunday Stills Challenge which is below. What fun I had doing that.

Went out to pick the pasture and put the horses in a little later than usual.

The sky was screaming at me.

Look here....

no, look here....

I'm beautiful....

Ahhhhh...the Peaceable Kingdom.

The pups and I got in the house around 7 and Gary had dinner ready. I think I've posted enough for one day and need to give you a break. Thanks for tuning in. Night all.

8 comments:

photogchic said...

That is a tough question. I don't know much about it driving, but if I equate it to riding, I would suggest slowing down a bit, and do much more driving without the cart. Get her desensitized to every sight, sound, bump, bang, color, tarp, touching walls with her body, and so on. Have fun with it. Use approach and retreat with new objects. When she is exposed to everything and seems relaxed, then I would add the cart. The cart is the icing on the cake...but you have to make sure the cake is perfected. Remember...horses have no goals..only we do. Don't be afraid to go backward to fix those holes. Don't know if any of that is useful. Even though my horse was broke to ride, I had to go back to ground zero and fill holes. Five months later I put on a saddle. Abbe is so lovely, I would love to see the two of you reach your goals together.

restoration42 said...

I am aware of wanting to preserve my body so I can do what I love for a long, long time. This has limited some of my choices when it comes to my horses. Sometimes this just means going slowly. Going slowly is good. Photogchic said it well. What about ground driving through all kinds of situations? There are many paths through. You'll make the right decision for you and your four legged friends.

Unknown said...

Hi Lori. You are ready to "Say Uncle" ?????? I'm unfamiliar with the expression. Footnotes please????
Mike.

Brenda's Arizona said...

I totally agree with Photogchic - I like the point that 'horses don't have goals'. Don't say 'Uncle' yet. Say 'slow down'. Always find success and focus on that. We have to remember that with our dog training, which even though it is MILES different than what you are doing, it has parallels. Always find a success, if it is only that 'one more practice will bring it together'. Always end with anticipating the next time. Always find something to praise - loud enough so that both you and the horse hear it!
Hang tough, give hugs and words of encouragement - to you and to Abbe.

Lori Skoog said...

Everybody...thanks for your input. I looked at the cart this morning and keep thinking about what you have said. It all makes sense, and maybe I should just slow down and keep going. When just line driving, Abbe has been exposed to going over tarps, through and over poles, noise, machine gun sounding rain on Andrea's barn roof, thunder, being in the ring while another horse was driven, trailered a million times... and more.
I can line drive pretty well now. I leave the side door to the arena open so I can go through it and to the outdoor...I drive her back and forth from the tack room, have driven her in the pasture. All that is pretty comfortable. My lack of experience hooking and getting in the cart has caused me to lose confidence if there is a problem. Riding is much easier. If she has a major fit in the cart, a lot of damage can be done to it, herself and her brain, not to mention me. I can not afford to get hurt. At least you have me thinking about not giving up. Thank you. She is so beautiful when Andrea drives her.

Unknown said...

Hi Lori. Thanks for your explanation re Uncle. You say it's easier to ride, and what if she has a fit? Yes, but if you're riding and get thrown, you'll do as much, or more, damage than if you're driving. It can happen. The last time it happened to me I bust a couple of ribs, but this was nearly forty years ago, and we do get more brittle as we get older, certainly. Still, as we say over here - bash on regardless. But I'm sure you know your own business best. Warm regards as always, Mike and Ann.

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

Mornings and evenings have certainly been chilly and damp here in good ole New York last few days.. enjoyed going through your blog. Good luck with the driving.

Esther Garvi said...

I agree with Photogchic and the others. Don't give up, Lori! Most people start out as Miss Back Yards - I would not be doing water therapy with Sandy for instance if I had to be experienced. And yet I am green, I do the best I can, so does he, and we go from there. The intensions are good. So are yours, and you have been so proud of your beautiful Abbe! Of course you want to see how high she can jump, who doesn't one our loved ones to develop to the best of their abilities? I say, just go slow, have fun, set little goals and be proud of your back yard achievements, which will soon surprise you with its quality.

I send you and Abbe a big hug!